Discussions about BGA (all languages)
Forum rules
Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
More info & details about how to challenge a moderation: viewtopic.php?p=119756
Een

Database maintenance today! (finished)

Post by Een »

Work in progress! EDIT: finished!

We have been preparing for some weeks to upgrade our database architecture to make it more resilient, and yesterday an electrical failure at our hosting provider proved again that it was necessary.

So today we'll be making the necessary changes, with some downtime, but that's to make the service better in the long run!

New table creation will be locked starting at 8AM CEST. You can follow up on our progress on Twitter.
haxxorn

Re: Database maintenance today!

Post by haxxorn »

Thanks for a great service :)
Een

Re: Database maintenance today!

Post by Een »

haxxorn wrote:Thanks for a great service :)
Thanks for your support and your patience!

The maintenance operation is over, we gathered all the data and files and made the necessary updates to be able to setup the failover. Work continues, but in background: you can enjoy playing again! Have fun! :)
djabwana

Re: Database maintenance today! (finished)

Post by djabwana »

As a software engineer myself, I'm curious what the new database is vs. the old. Did you go from a more traditional SQL database to something different, if you don't mind sharing?
Een

Re: Database maintenance today! (finished)

Post by Een »

djabwana wrote:As a software engineer myself, I'm curious what the new database is vs. the old. Did you go from a more traditional SQL database to something different, if you don't mind sharing?
This maintenance consisted in a version upgrade and data preparation to setup a replicated failover database. Before, we had backups but no failover, and restoring from backups with the size of the database would have meant a really big downtime in case of a database crash.

With a replicated failover, it should be a matter of minutes. We are currently working on finishing to set it up. This will still take time, but it's a background task that should have no impact on the service.

Return to “Discussions”