Stone Age Expansion

Discussions about BGA (all languages)
Forum rules
Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
More info & details about how to challenge a moderation: viewtopic.php?p=119756
WhiteLionEXP

Stone Age Expansion

Post by WhiteLionEXP »

I remember joining BGA when it was really small, like under 16 000 members and few games were available. Stone Age was among them. The expansion was released in 2011, so i want to ask why is it not available here already? It's been 7 years i am quietly waiting in corner for it and still nothing. I would say nothing if it had to be a completely new game, but Stone Age was one of the first games to be available here and most importantly, its just an expansion of a game which was allowed to be available here on BGA, so why not just ask publishers to allow also expansion ? I am very sad.

I'll PAY for it to happen

Same story with T'zolkin and Carcassonne (well except they came much later) , i just don't understand
nmego

Re: Stone Age Expansion

Post by nmego »

Well there are two main reasons for an expansion not to be released on BGA:

1. That BGA don't have the required permissions to release the expansion on BGA.
2. That the BGA developers simply didn't develop it yet.

I can't see Stone Age: The Expansion in the licenses list. So I'm not sure.
apollo1001

Post by apollo1001 »

This is an interesting question, but one I have thought about from the developer side: should I implement an expansion or should I develop a new game? The majority of games here are developed by volunteers, so what drives someone to complete a game/expansion if you accept there is no financial reward?

Well, in my case, it comes down to trying to maximise audience exposure vs time-investment. You want to provide something that as many people will enjoy as possible. The crux of the expansion issue is that the people who play an expansion will only ever be a subset of those who already play the original game thereby you will not be providing something that will benefit a larger audience. A new game offers a completely different experience which will likely increase the number of people you have 'helped'.

Expansions are great from a publisher point of view as a way to tap back in to an existing market and generate further revenues, but this isn't the goal of a volunteer web-developer who simply wants to help more people.
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

This is probably even more the case with Stone Age, because as far as I can tell, the expansion was never that popular, which narrows down the audience even more.

I think more important than this is thinking about the fact that there are SOOOOO many games out there, including tons of expansions. It's not like the site can do all of them and somewhere choices have to be made, and they aren't always the ones that you personally would like. The answer to all such questions "why is xyz game not here" is the same: first and foremost is a developer's desire to do it, and they'll never go by the wishes of one individual person, and second in some cases, even when someone wants to do it, they can't get the license or there's technical reasons it would be difficult to do, etc.

If you want to contribute your voice you can vote here:
http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/11490 ... -com-games
Mark Bloom

Post by Mark Bloom »

nmego wrote:
Where can i find the licenses list. Is this list puplic?
A-dam

Post by A-dam »

Mark Bloom wrote:
nmego wrote:
Where can i find the licenses list. Is this list puplic?
This list is available for developers, you would need developer account to see that list

Return to “Discussions”