How does simple matchmaking mode really work?

Discussions about BGA (all languages)
Forum rules
Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
More info & details about how to challenge a moderation: viewtopic.php?p=119756
nmego

How does simple matchmaking mode really work?

Post by nmego »

Basically you press a button and wait for a while then you get matched into a game. You can also specify your preferred settings.

But I also see a (green) bar that gets filled overtime.
I also see "3 minutes" / "60 minutes" / "2 hours" that may or may not decrease in time.

Also, how does it work with "rarely-played" games? Such as "Kabaleo"?

Are there any other not-commonly-known mechanics/tips/tricks?
-------
Oh, one more thing.

When I was using simple mode (I've started using this mode more often now that I'm using an older computer now), there were a couple of games that I found really hard to play there. I'll give you an example: Quantum

Quantum is a really nice game. The issue is that it is not as widely known. So If I rely on simple mode, it will take me forever (depending on how lucky I am) to get a game started. This might be a little of an extreme example. But this issue happens to a smaller (but more common) extent with games like TTG, Diams, Backgammon, Reversi etc.. They are all uncommon games and it could take about 10 minutes or so to find a game. And you never know how much do you have to wait.

So there's this little suggestion of adding in an option. In simple mode. That when enabled for a given game it gives a circle that becomes green if a TTG game (for example) was hosted and waiting for players and red if no such game was hosted.
Een

Re: How does simple matchmaking mode really work?

Post by Een »

nmego wrote:But I also see a (green) bar that gets filled overtime.
This bar represents the number of players needed to start the game. When it's full, it means that there is enough players and that the game will start immediately.
So it gives you an idea of the progress. You could call this a "loading players" bar :D
nmego wrote:I also see "3 minutes" / "60 minutes" / "2 hours" that may or may not decrease in time.
Yes, this is a mean time for starting a game over the last 30 days or so. It's meant to give an idea of the time you could have to wait. Of course, this is only an estimate, the game can start immediately if there are enough players wanting to play just now.
nmego wrote:Also, how does it work with "rarely-played" games? Such as "Kabaleo"?
It works the same as for other games (whatever the game popularity, players are needed ;) )
nmego wrote:Are there any other not-commonly-known mechanics/tips/tricks?
The main interesting trick is that you can request a game for multiple games at the same time. This is especially interesting if you like to play some less popular games like you mentioned. Then you can request a game for all the less popular games you like, and a game will start with the first one to get enough players (and - for real time - your participation in other tables will be canceled).
nmego wrote:Quantum is a really nice game. The issue is that it is not as widely known. So If I rely on simple mode, it will take me forever (depending on how lucky I am) to get a game started.
Not sure why you'd think this. The simple mode shares the tables with the advanced mode, so it doesn't have any specific reason to last longer.
nmego wrote:They are all uncommon games and it could take about 10 minutes or so to find a game. And you never know how much do you have to wait.
That's actually true whatever the mode: you have to wait for other players to join and you cannot know when they will be willing to do so.
nmego wrote:So there's this little suggestion of adding in an option. In simple mode. That when enabled for a given game it gives a circle that becomes green if a TTG game (for example) was hosted and waiting for players and red if no such game was hosted.
Not sure I understand. If a compatible table exists, as the tables are shared between modes, you'll automatically join it. Then the green bar status will reflect it immediately as it represents the number of players at your table over the number of players needed to start.
nmego

Re: How does simple matchmaking mode really work?

Post by nmego »

Thanks for the detailed response.
nmego wrote:So there's this little suggestion of adding in an option. In simple mode. That when enabled for a given game it gives a circle that becomes green if a TTG game (for example) was hosted and waiting for players and red if no such game was hosted.
Not sure I understand. If a compatible table exists, as the tables are shared between modes, you'll automatically join it. Then the green bar status will reflect it immediately as it represents the number of players at your table over the number of players needed to start.
This was something for less active games to save time. though I don't think it is necessary anymore.

Return to “Discussions”