Do not inhibit free expression of thought

Discussions about BGA (all languages)
Forum rules
Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
More info & details about how to challenge a moderation: viewtopic.php?p=119756
pottereuel

Do not inhibit free expression of thought

Post by pottereuel »

Earlier today, 8/14/18, Boardgamearena server would not allow the epithet: jerk. I object.

A large part of boardgaming is the repertoire. We insult each other with each turn. It's now called trash talk, but it's how games are played. Eliminate all censors. Battle filth if you must, but don't kill conversation.
N_Faker

Re: Do not inhibit free expression of thought

Post by N_Faker »

Stick to one thread, will you.
-
There is a zero-tolerance policy on insults on this site.
The word filter merely warns you that there may be consequences to you posting whatever you wrote, but it does not prevent you from doing so.
pottereuel

Post by pottereuel »

How do zero-tolerance and free expression coexist?
Answer: They don't.
Pick one.
pottereuel

Post by pottereuel »

You stand at a threshold. You choose freedom or intolerance. Do not choose intolerance.
Life is hard, life is free, life is brutal. Cage the net, you cage us ALL.

You exist because freedom is. Your future is with liberty, not autocracy. Go forth. Build mighty fortresses. Bring Peace through liberty.
Jest Phulin

Post by Jest Phulin »

You have freedom. You have the freedom to create your own website, to get the licenses to host your own games, and the freedom to do all the work and coding necessary to run that website.

Here you are a guest. If you do not like the methods used to try to keep the peace, you are free to leave.
Thomcat

Post by Thomcat »

I am not that familiar with "moderation".

Are you saying the moderators will be notified and have to examine games on a case-by-case basis?
Seems a little harsh for "jerk", which is pretty minor trash talk.

I can understand how profanity would be bad, especially on a family-oriented site, but jerk?

Please help me understand the reasoning.
--Thom
N_Faker

Post by N_Faker »

Thomcat wrote:Are you saying the moderators will be notified and have to examine games on a case-by-case basis?
It may not be limited to single games, but yes, reports are handled on a case-by-case basis.

Any forms of insults, swearing, inappropriate or aggressive behaviour may result in moderation.
Paddles

Post by Paddles »

When we come to BGA, we are playing in someone else's house - specifically Een and Sourisdudesert. They are perfectly entitled to decide what they want their house to be like. If they don't want people trash talking in their house, they're entitled to do what they can to prevent it. If they want to play deathmetal with the speakers turned up to 11, they're also entitled to do that.

If there's something we don't like about their house, we can make a polite suggestion or request and hope they change it. They might listen, or they might not; a well-reasoned argument seems more likely to be persuasive than tossing insults at them, particularly ridiculous ones like suggesting they're perpetrators of intolerance. This is a gaming site, not an international court.

If we still don't like their house, we can also go somewhere else; no-one is forcing us to keep visiting their house.

If we have paid money to visit their house, the above still applies. Paying money doesn't give us the right to insult the hosts.

(For the record, I'm quite happy not to have trash-talk here. )
Cappie

Post by Cappie »

pottereuel wrote:Earlier today, 8/14/18, Boardgamearena server would not allow the epithet: jerk. I object.

A large part of boardgaming is the repertoire. We insult each other with each turn. It's now called trash talk, but it's how games are played. Eliminate all censors. Battle filth if you must, but don't kill conversation.
Its how games are played? Do you decide that for everyone?
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

Cappie wrote:
pottereuel wrote:Earlier today, 8/14/18, Boardgamearena server would not allow the epithet: jerk. I object.

Its how games are played? Do you decide that for everyone?
+1

It's OK if everyone at the table thinks it's OK, like if this is your friends or something, but you can't decide that for everyone else. I doubt your friends would report you. Then you just have to ignore the warnings - those warnings aren't reporting you.

(And there is a difference between freedom and anarchy.)

Return to “Discussions”