ELO Animation at end of game

Discussions about BGA (all languages)
Forum rules
Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
More info & details about how to challenge a moderation: viewtopic.php?p=119756
Liallan

Re: ELO Animation at end of game

Post by Liallan »

CraWleR wrote:If many people found things like that irritating, big companies would not use any animations in their sites and web standards would not continually add new animations and support for new animations.
Since when do companies (especially big companies) always care what users want? Would you like me to start a list of all the things companies have done that are disliked? And they don't care? I'm not saying no one wants these things, but rather that their existence doesn't prove anything one way or the other. (IOW, pretty flimsy "proof" you've got there.) I know plenty of people who hate flashy stuff. You don't get to decide what "improves" everyone else's user experience. *I* am a user too, but you seem very close-minded to the fact that anyone may feel differently than you do. (Which isn't any surprise.) I can see the ELO box thingie at end game when I hover over it, and it's not exactly difficult to find - just vaguely moving my mouse at all makes those boxes pop up. So what purpose does floating across the screen serve? I'm not asking if you like it or not - I'm asking what purpose does it serve, other than flash?
sourisdudesert
Administrateur

Post by sourisdudesert »

Hi,

Please do not attack each other: we obviously have different expectations for user interfaces and general feeling.

However, to answer your question directly: yes, this animation has several purposes. I won't list all of them but here's are two of them:

_ we want to give more importance to competitive play and ELO ranking for games with "ELO" option set to ON. And more many many players (maybe not you, probably not me, but many), this animation gives more importance to ELO ranking.
_ we are a gaming website. During a game, board games component are always moving everything across the screen (and no one complain about this :p). As gaining/losing ELO is part of the game, it is logical to make it feel like the rest of the website.

Beside all of this: 99% of gaming websites looked like Christmas tree with tons of "fancy" things popping and moving everywhere. We certainly do not want that for BGA, but we also certainly want to look like a gaming website for the visitors, so look at this as a compromise :)
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

And why exactly do we want to increase the importance and competitiveness of ELO? Seems to me that's the very thing that causes a lot of problems (among certain people).
sourisdudesert
Administrateur

Post by sourisdudesert »

Liallan wrote:And why exactly do we want to increase the importance and competitiveness of ELO? Seems to me that's the very thing that causes a lot of problems (among certain people).
As I said, maybe it does not increase the importance of ELO to you :)
gurthbruins

Post by gurthbruins »

I find things moving across the screen extremely irritating. Especially squirrels and cockroaches.
The people who invent these things must be sadists.
Lena the Great

Post by Lena the Great »

gurthbruins wrote:I find things moving across the screen extremely irritating. Especially squirrels and cockroaches.
The people who invent these things must be sadists.
Haha :)

Return to “Discussions”