ELO Animation at end of game

Discussions about BGA (all languages)
Forum rules
Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
More info & details about how to challenge a moderation: viewtopic.php?p=119756
firexed

ELO Animation at end of game

Post by firexed »

There is now the ELO animation at end of game of the VP sign flying across the screen. It is quite irritating, any way to turn it off ?
Liallan

Re: ELO Animation at end of game

Post by Liallan »

I'm now very curious, as I've never seen this thing "animated." If I hover over a player a box comes up, but it's not "flying" across the screen. If it were, I too would find that quite irritating.

(I do wonder if it makes any difference if it's real time or turn-based, cause I do all turn-based. But it doesn't seem to make a difference whether you're there at the end of the game, because when I have been, it's still not animated.)
CB Droege

Post by CB Droege »

It just floats some Elo points across from the end-game screen onto the player card, the same style as in games like Tokaido when you gain and loose resources they float from the board to the player card and back. It's not really very annoying, and it only happens once per game.
Lotus Blossom

Post by Lotus Blossom »

It definitely happens in turn based games, maybe only if you were the one who made the last move. I quite like it.
firexed

Post by firexed »

There should be an option to turn it off- it's quite annoying for me..Can any admins do something ?
RicardoRix

Post by RicardoRix »

If you think of all the different potential options where you could turn things on and off, or select then the list would be very long.
It's really not a big deal, look away for a few seconds when it happens if it bothers you that much.
sourisdudesert
Administrateur

Post by sourisdudesert »

For sure, if we added an option each time it was asked in these forums, BGA preferences panel would be today more complex that an airplane cockpit :) :) :)
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

RicardoRix wrote:It's really not a big deal, look away for a few seconds when it happens if it bothers you that much.
Perhaps it is a big deal to some people. I don't see it - never have. But I find things moving around on a screen to be extremely annoying, and it is a big deal to me because it irritates my eyes and kind of just freaks my brain out. It's like having things move as your mouse goes over them - that drives me nuts. And most of the time that kind of thing has no real purpose - it's just flash.

I'm glad I don't see this one. But maybe it could simply be turned off, period, since I'm going to guess it doesn't serve any purpose at all, other than trying to be fancy.
firexed

Post by firexed »

Liallan wrote:
RicardoRix wrote:It's really not a big deal, look away for a few seconds when it happens if it bothers you that much.
I'm glad I don't see this one. But maybe it could simply be turned off, period, since I'm going to guess it doesn't serve any purpose at all, other than trying to be fancy.
It's much more of a problem in real-time games, as you only see it when the game ends. The point is it doesn't serve any purpose other than to be flashy. Many people find moving things across a screen extremely irritating.
CraWleR

Post by CraWleR »

If many people found things like that irritating, big companies would not use any animations in their sites and web standards would not continually add new animations and support for new animations. That actually implies the reverse of what you're saying - that people prefer it. I personally like it as well. I do feel like the time spent on doing that might have been better spent doing something more important, but as a developer I also understand that sometimes you just want to do or try something seemingly less important, because it's more interesting and/or can be refreshing.
Liallan wrote:It's like having things move as your mouse goes over them - that drives me nuts. And most of the time that kind of thing has no real purpose - it's just flash.
That is part of improving user experience and often show users that you can interact with certain elements of the website. Similar to how the cursor changes to a pointing finger. Of course if is not necessary, however it makes the user interface more intuitive and allows the developers to convey additional information. I won't go into arguments about it, because you can read books about user experience.

Return to “Discussions”