Beta testers wanted! A new "browser notifications" functionnality is coming!

Discussions about BGA (all languages)
Forum rules
Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
More info & details about how to challenge a moderation: viewtopic.php?p=119756
dudi2

Re: Beta testers wanted! A new "browser notifications" functionnality is coming!

Post by dudi2 »

Notifications work here on browser Vivaldi (based on Google Chrome v71) on Windows.

Should the notification include a clickable link?

My browser just closes the notification on a click. This means I have to play all waiting turn-based games to be sure to have played the game I am notified about.

Another Suggestion:
Could there be a 3rd option on this setting:
- Notify me when it's my turn to play at a turn-based table?
"Yes" "No" "Only if my remaining time is smaller than the remaining time of others"

For me following notifications are very useful (selected "Yes"):
Notify me when a player joins or leaves a table I'm waiting at?
Notify me when a table I am at starts or ends?
Notify me when BGA publishes a news announcement?

For turn based I would select the variant suggested above or "No", otherwise too many notifications will appear an they will be just clicked away most of the time.
Een

Re: Beta testers wanted! A new "browser notifications" functionnality is coming!

Post by Een »

dudi2 wrote:Notifications work here on browser Vivaldi (based on Google Chrome v71) on Windows.
Good to know :)
dudi2 wrote:Should the notification include a clickable link?

My browser just closes the notification on a click. This means I have to play all waiting turn-based games to be sure to have played the game I am notified about.
Notifications cannot 'contain' a link, but when clicked, they can open a page. That's what we do. For turn based, the page that is opened is the same than the link in the email (so it's the main site page that will redirect you to the first turn based game you are expected at). It's possible to open the specific game directly, but in that case you could land on the game as a spectator (if you are not currently connected in your browser) and that can be confusing.

Edit: with the next release, we'll redirect to the specific game matching the notification through the mainsite redirection page.
dudi2 wrote:Another Suggestion:
Could there be a 3rd option on this setting:
- Notify me when it's my turn to play at a turn-based table?
"Yes" "No" "Only if my remaining time is smaller than the remaining time of others"
Not sure about this. If extra options were to be added they would probably follow the same patterns as email notifications.
dudi2 wrote: For me following notifications are very useful (selected "Yes"):
Notify me when a player joins or leaves a table I'm waiting at?
Notify me when a table I am at starts or ends?
Notify me when BGA publishes a news announcement?
Great :)
dudi2 wrote: For turn based I would select the variant suggested above or "No", otherwise too many notifications will appear an they will be just clicked away most of the time.
Well, notifications are just that actually. They don't need to be minded all the time; they can be neglected and they disappear automatically after some seconds (exact time depending on your browser).

Thanks for the feedback!
CB Droege

Post by CB Droege »

Een wrote:
CB Droege wrote:My Windows 10 Chrome just upgraded to Version 71.0.3578.80. Still not receiving any notifications, including tests. I checked all my settings, and I don't have notifications disabled anywhere (I get notifications from other sites successfully.)
Strange. No idea why. Could you try Firefox on the same desktop?
Sure. It's working as intended on Firefox Quantum 63.0.1
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

I know I have to be using the browser I did the notification with. But does it have to be active? Like if I have my Firefox open (which I usually do), but I'm off using IE for some reason. It seems like it should since that should be the point of a notification. (And sorry if I sound ignorant but I never do notifications.) I know I didn't get notified when a game ended the other day, and I'm trying to see if there's a logical reason. (Though I think you did say they disappear after a time so maybe I didn't see it.)

And does it only do a notification when you have a turn the first time? So if I don't take that and another turn comes up, I don't get another one, right? Cause I'm seeing them, but only here and there.
Een

Post by Een »

Liallan wrote:I know I have to be using the browser I did the notification with. But does it have to be active? Like if I have my Firefox open (which I usually do), but I'm off using IE for some reason. It seems like it should since that should be the point of a notification. (And sorry if I sound ignorant but I never do notifications.) I know I didn't get notified when a game ended the other day, and I'm trying to see if there's a logical reason. (Though I think you did say they disappear after a time so maybe I didn't see it.)
The browser has to be running. If the browser is not running, the notification is stored on a notification server until the browser is started, then it gets delivered. If a notification cannot be delivered for more than one week, it expires and is dropped.
If the browser is running and you are using another application, the notification should be delivered. Unless... see below :)
Liallan wrote:And does it only do a notification when you have a turn the first time? So if I don't take that and another turn comes up, I don't get another one, right? Cause I'm seeing them, but only here and there.
A notification is sent each time it's your turn, but it's only displayed if you don't already have a tab open and active for that game (if you have the page open, we consider that you'll see that it's your turn so the notification would be redundant).
Een

Post by Een »

CB Droege wrote: Sure. It's working as intended on Firefox Quantum 63.0.1
Thanks! Not sure what happens with Chrome for you then.
Hope someone else can test this configuration to tell us if this works for them.
r0y_l

Post by r0y_l »

Working as intented on Chrome v70

But cannot get it to work on Brave browser, the following appears when I confirm for popup "We haven't been able to set up notifications on this browser! Did you confirm authorization when prompted by the browser?"

Have tried to dissable shields but makes no difference.
Een

Post by Een »

r0y_l wrote:Working as intented on Chrome v70
Thanks!
r0y_l wrote:But cannot get it to work on Brave browser, the following appears when I confirm for popup "We haven't been able to set up notifications on this browser! Did you confirm authorization when prompted by the browser?"

Have tried to dissable shields but makes no difference.
I did not know about this browser, but it seems hardened for privacy so they may have disabled notifications altogether. It would be interesting to check if notifications work on another website, or check the errors in the web developer tools console (F12).
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

Een wrote:
Liallan wrote:And does it only do a notification when you have a turn the first time? So if I don't take that and another turn comes up, I don't get another one, right? Cause I'm seeing them, but only here and there.
A notification is sent each time it's your turn, but it's only displayed if you don't already have a tab open and active for that game (if you have the page open, we consider that you'll see that it's your turn so the notification would be redundant).
OK - I have seen it pop up, even twice in a row, and I see they are disappearing after a very short time, so I think I'm just missing some. I rarely leave a game table open when I'm not on turn, so that's not why.
Een

Post by Een »

Liallan wrote: OK - I have seen it pop up, even twice in a row, and I see they are disappearing after a very short time, so I think I'm just missing some. I rarely leave a game table open when I'm not on turn, so that's not why.
There is now an extra parameter on the preferences page to make notifications sticky (so that they do not disappear unless clicked) if you want to be sure not to miss them.

Return to “Discussions”