Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
More info & details about how to challenge a moderation: viewtopic.php?p=119756
sourisdudesert
Administrateur

Re: Game speed

Post by sourisdudesert »

@Meeple fool:

Your reasoning is right.

This is why we also have a "maximum time" set to 1 minute + 3 turns. This way, you can "save" time, up to the equivalent to 3 turns. So even some very specific moves take some more time, you can still make it.

But again: we are still in "beta" and we are monitoring each "clock" penalty on the website, so we will make statistics on this to make sure time is adjusted to fit the needs of a majority of players.
dhnyny

Post by dhnyny »

Meeple Fool wrote:@sourisdudesert

The average time + 60% addresses the first problem I stated. It covers 95% of the people on average. However, it does not address the second problem I stated because the average time is not necessarily a good representation of the actual usage model.

Let's take an example.
If a game could go generally pretty fast for 80% of the turns, e.g. 1 minutes, but there are certain portion of the game (20%) that demands a longer thinking time, e.g. 3 minutes.
80%:1 minute
20%: 3 minutes
The average turn time of the above game will be 1.4 minutes. Adding 60% to it will make the turn time limit 2.24 minutes. On the surface, it might seems that the 2.24 minute time limit is a good one as it provides a reasonable buffer to the average of 1.4 minutes.

However, in practice, for the 80% of those turns, people still complete them in 1 minute anyway, so it does not help the player at all or save any actual play time. But for the 20% of the turns who call for harder decisions and demand more thinking time, the player will most likely get the out-of-time penalty because the player has 25% less time to think.

Sure, it is a very simplified example but the central idea is valid.
Very well put.
Daredek

Post by Daredek »

I think I may stop playing and wait for an adjustment back towards the longer game speeds.
Oh wait, if more players stop playing will that skew the statistics?
Are you tracking the variance in number of players; especially by rank (i.e. drop off in Beginners)?
Meeple Fool

Post by Meeple Fool »

Another consideration is the quality of decisions made during the game play.
Even if the number of out-of-time penalty under the new game speed is not significantly higher than previously, it does not mean the new game speed has no material impacts to the players.

One important aspect is how the shortened turn time affect the quality of the decisions made by players. Some players might be forced to make a hasty decision to avoid the out-of-time penalty, others (even strong players) might be making unnecessary stupid mistakes because of the stress from a constantly yelling clock, and even worst, some players who need more thinking time might be afraid to join certain co-operative games because they do not want to ruin the games for others.

Lots of these important implications are not reflected by the number of the out-of-time penalty. We might need to look at how the score of each player in a particular game has changed and whether the number of games played for a particular game by a player has dropped, etc.
asd123321

Post by asd123321 »

Lords of Xidit has 19 min. per turn in slow speed, way too much. The old amount was right. I hope Terra Mystica gets speeded up. It could be good to post the times allowed for each game.
Gandon

Post by Gandon »

I also want to emphasize that the turn-based speeds are increasing as well, in the middle of games. All of my games have changed from 5 days + 1 day/turn to 3 days + 1 day/turn. A notification would have been nice when you are changing games in progress.

It is a little inconvenient for me, as now I need to login every day, where as before I could skip weekends.
irotikes

Post by irotikes »

J'ai du mal à comprendre le réglage de la vitesse lors de ces deux parties:

On est censés avoir 19 secondes par coup. Or, en jouant chaque coup en 5 secondes ou moins, tous les joueurs (sauf 1) ont fini la partie lourdement en retard... Bug, non?
qwertasdfg

Post by qwertasdfg »

irotikes wrote:J'ai du mal à comprendre le réglage de la vitesse lors de ces deux parties:

On est censés avoir 19 secondes par coup. Or, en jouant chaque coup en 5 secondes ou moins, tous les joueurs (sauf 1) ont fini la partie lourdement en retard... Bug, non?
Yes, it is a bug. They stated they won't fix it though as it only affects large tables (and thus only a small percentage of total players in 6nimmt):
https://en.boardgamearena.com/#!bug?id=211

Return to “Discussions”