When is it acceptable to expel a player from a turn-based game when they have run out of time?

Discussions about BGA (all languages)
Forum rules
Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
More info & details about how to challenge a moderation: viewtopic.php?p=119756
pidgerdaffy

When is it acceptable to expel a player from a turn-based game when they have run out of time?

Post by pidgerdaffy »

Obviously it would be mean to expel someone after they're a minute behind, but how much time would you give them? What factors do you take into consideration?
RicardoRix

Re: When is it acceptable to expel a player from a turn-based game when they have run out of time?

Post by RicardoRix »

You can check their profile to see if they've passed by the website recently.

Usually I would give at least a day. If the game is not important then I will quite often leaving it hanging for longer.

It often occurs to me that in a 3-player situation then your other opponent has an 'auto don't lose' button available. And they may at the last opportunity in game play still use it. So far I've not come across that actually be used, but you never know.
diamant

Re: When is it acceptable to expel a player from a turn-based game when they have run out of time?

Post by diamant »

pidgerdaffy wrote:Obviously it would be mean to expel someone after they're a minute behind, but how much time would you give them? What factors do you take into consideration?
The main factor is the progress of the game. If a player is out of time then he has not played a single move, I expel him right away. With an advanced game, the reference duration is the allocated time at the beginning of the game (according to the speed of the game) : I nearly always expel a player if he's late more than the reference duration.
Other factors : your mood, desire to finish the game, player reputation...
Jest Phulin

Post by Jest Phulin »

pidgerdaffy wrote:Obviously it would be mean to expel someone after they're a minute behind,
It actually isn't quite that obvious.

Consider a game of 1 move per day, with a 5-day base. (This used to be the standard, but I'm noticing something different recently -- it may be a 2-day base now.) If the person had been making daily moves, they would have 5 days of time still before they ran out. They, like everyone at the table, agreed to play the game to the end within the time allotted. They then decided that instead of checking in and making a move in 24 hours, they would spend 5 times that amount (or triple that amount if I'm interpreting the new system correctly) doing things other than honoring their commitment to the game and the other people at the table. The rules of the site are quite clear: if someone runs out of time, they can be expelled. It is not mean to enforce the rules.

Now, I understand that there are situations beyond player's control that can affect their ability to make their moves. Illness, accident, natural (and unnatural) disasters, ISP issues (Anyone in the US with CenturyLink? Yeah, that was less than fun...) : these can all happen.
So can not caring about the other players at the table.
I don't see any of them more likely to being being resolved at an arbitrary time after "one minute over time" than they are at "one minute over time."

Bottom line -- with no communication, enforcing the rule the instant they use all of their base time plus their thinking time per turn is not mean. Not trying to follow through on a commitment made at the beginning of the game is.
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

Just as a change of pace, I have the exact opposite opinion as Jest.

Well, not the exact opposite. I agree that when you take a game, you've committed to that game, should keep that commitment, and have some concern about the other people who have joined in and made the same commitment, i.e. no one on a game is more special than anyone else. So technically, you can dump them once they have run out of total time, even one minute.

But... I think circumstances and reputation and such are important as well. I never dump anyone the minute they are over time. I take into consideration things like how far into the game we are, whether that person has taken a turn at all yet, their reputation (and more importantly whether I know them and their normal behavior), whether I'm concerned about finishing in a tie (and therefore also whether it's 2 player or multi-player), and probably stuff I can't think of, and yes, my mood as well cause I don't have hard and fast rules.

All things being equal, I lean towards not skipping over people, partly cause I like to give them a chance in case something just came up (and it can happen to all of us), and partly because I really detest forcing a game into a tie, which I think is unfair. There is also the fact that I try to be the last one on the game so I can check reputation before hand, or if I make the invite I restrict to 85%+. I'm trying to reduce the chances of people who drop games too much, and if I can do that, chances are more likely that something unexpected came up, rather than they just don't care. I think someone's normal behavior is important to this.

What makes me more likely to be patient and try to wait is when the person's normal behavior seems to be not running over time, or being further into the game. If someone hasn't made a move at all, I'm a lot more likely to skip over them - actually, my preference is to do a group abandon, but some people refuse to do that. If the game has just started, I really don't see why. (i.e. I'm not attempting to avoid a loss - I never do that.) Just for example, I've got two games right now with someone who was over time on one and real close to it on the other, and this is someone I've played with several times and know that's not his normal behavior, so I assumed something was going on, and hoped no one would skip him. And sure enough, he had stuff going on, and could conceivably run over some more, especially with a clock that's already negative. But I'm not concerned about it - it's not a lack of concern on his part about his fellow players - sometimes stuff just happens.
N_Faker

Post by N_Faker »

As far as moderation is concerned, it is acceptable to kick a player the second they exceed their allotted time.
Shaq Jenkins

Post by Shaq Jenkins »

As you can see, the answer to this varies. Technically, you can expel someone even if s/he is only one second over, because that is what the rule is (and I've seen players do this - they have every right to). I usually don't notice if a player is over the time limit unless it has been 3+days. I can't remember the last time I expelled someone in a turn based game.

However, I will not hesitate to expel someone from a real time game, mostly because I do not want to wait around and would prefer to move on to the next game. I give players 2 minutes before I expel in real time mode. I also set my tables to Normal Speed (someone who is having an internet problem can usually get their internet working within 5 minutes - that's how long it takes me to figure out the problem or to switch to my phone).

I'm very happy with the new turn based time limits - it's perfect for those of us who want something slower than real time but don't want to spend two weeks finishing one game.

Return to “Discussions”