Poor Sportsmanship

Discussions about BGA (all languages)
Forum rules
Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
More info & details about how to challenge a moderation: viewtopic.php?p=119756
cdavis103

Poor Sportsmanship

Post by cdavis103 »

I'm playing Jaipur on fast with a 1:30 timer. After 20 seconds of thinking time I get this:

Kubutura OMG LAZY ONE, PLAY
Kubutura red thumb for you
8:55:03
Kubutura noob and lazy
Insult? Aggressive attitude? Please do not respond or you will be moderated too. Block this player (thumb down) and report him/her to moderators.
Kubutura noob and lazy
Insult? Aggressive attitude? Please do not respond or you will be moderated too. Block this player (thumb down) and report him/her to moderators

When I try and red flag, it says I need to have five green ones first -- what is that? Why? I give a few out, but not a lot. I try to give a red thumb for a real jerk move and now I cannot. Is this right?
sourisdudesert
Administrateur

Re: Poor Sportsmanship

Post by sourisdudesert »

It depends.

You can give him a red thumb for personal reason. It always work: there is no limit for that.

However, you tried to give a red thumb and "tell everyone not to play with this player". In this case we limit red thumbs / green thumbs ratio to 1/5 because otherwise some players are red thumbing everyone which makes no sense.

If you don't want to signal good players to the community using green thumb, you cannot signal bad ones. In this case, I suggest you to use personnal red thumb which seems appropriate.
RicardoRix

Post by RicardoRix »

the limitation doesn't make sense. Essentially you are trying to force us to use the green thumb system.
Better would be to assume that if we don't red thumb then it was a fine experience.
So if I've played 4000 games and I red thumb my first ever player for bad behaviour at a table, are you saying that I am giving away too many red-thumbs?
I think not.

As a consequence you have players playing with bad behaviour and impunity.
wentley

Post by wentley »

This has just happened to me. A player quit for no apparent reason, (did not explain why) and so I naturally red thumbed him (although he will get a penalty to his reputation anyway). I am not inclined to red thumb people as far as I can recall. However the red thumb to green thumb ratio was invoked, and it was suggested that I personally red thumb him. But this was not my true opinion. I don't think people in general should play with someone who quits without an explanation. Its possible of course it was an emergency, but I can't assume that without evidence.

In terms of giving green thumbs out, I sometimes limit, because if I give everyone who isn't bad a green thumb, I become confused between whether I enjoyed playing with this player or they just were neutral. But often I will give a green thumb if player was polite, and said good game or communicated in some friendly manner (or even communicated at all!) Amazingly a lot of people don't even bother with this (sometimes in rapid fire games its understandable I suppose). But I'm not giving anyone a green thumb unless I had some response from them. And if player was of some real distinction, I will make a note about them (good or bad).

However I think maybe the ratio of 5 greens to 1 red is too high. Maybe lower it to 3 to 1?
RicardoRix

Post by RicardoRix »

For the red thumb / green thumb ratio, BGA must be including personal red-thumbs. Which means that you inadvertently disallow yourself from giving global red thumbs because you've given out personal red-thumbs... :S

BGA may need to restrict the potential abuse of red-thumbs, but this is not the way. Why not do it based on games played rather than green/red ratio?

I've just gone through my game history and given out a bunch of green thumbs, maybe 20+ and still cannot give the player a global red thumb.
You can't give more than 1 red thumbs for each 5 green thumbs - Note that this does not apply if you choose 'Personal opinion'.
This guy did abandon a game on purpose, and it's impossible for me do anything about it.
Jest Phulin

Post by Jest Phulin »

I'm wondering if the green/red numbers got corrupted recently. I tend to give a green thumb everyone who isn't mean, and recently got a "you can't publicly red thumb this person" message. But, with no easy way of determining our ratio, I didn't want to report it as a bug.
eoc

Post by eoc »

sourisdudesert wrote: However, you tried to give a red thumb and "tell everyone not to play with this player". In this case we limit red thumbs / green thumbs ratio to 1/5 because otherwise some players are red thumbing everyone which makes no sense.
Could you, sourisdudesert, please weigh in here on whether personal red thumbs count against the red-thumb limit you mentioned? If we're in the business of discussing what makes sense and what doesn't, surely including the personal ones would not make sense as well?
Lena the Great

Post by Lena the Great »

Jest Phulin wrote:I'm wondering if the green/red numbers got corrupted recently. I tend to give a green thumb everyone who isn't mean, and recently got a "you can't publicly red thumb this person" message. But, with no easy way of determining our ratio, I didn't want to report it as a bug.
I have experienced this too, and I have given a lot of green thumbs
Farffle

Post by Farffle »

I have recently given 5 green thumbs and still can't give a red either. I agree it would be nice to warn people about quitters or poor sports.
sourisdudesert
Administrateur

Post by sourisdudesert »

Hi,

Sorry about this bug on green/red ratio.

It has been fixed now, and you can now give red thumb again.

Return to “Discussions”