General Chat: Not a fan.

Discussions about BGA (all languages)
Forum rules
Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
More info & details about how to challenge a moderation: viewtopic.php?p=119756
RicardoRix

Re: General Chat: Not a fan.

Post by RicardoRix »

yes, if you don't (or didn't) actually use the general chat then of course it's better for you now it's hidden.

The call for games and pleas for setting up premium games is a bit annoying, but it was fairly easy to filter it out. In general it's a bit like being in a public bar, you personally only want to hear the conversion you're having but the background noise adds to the atmosphere and is one of the only free hang-out places on the site you get to interact (even if it's only reading) with the wider community of board game players around the world.
I guess BGA are going for more a concentrated gaming experience rather than a chatty community spirit kind of vibe.
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

RicardoRix wrote: 22 May 2019, 16:32 yes, if you don't (or didn't) actually use the general chat then of course it's better for you now it's hidden.
I never used the general chat and I still don't like the change, mostly cause of the wider screen space that I find no use for, and almost seems too wide and too much for my eyes to deal with all at once, and doesn't enhance the game itself in any way at all. Except that now on the game there's that silly thing down in the corner popping up occasionally. I haven't looked how to turn it off, but that's what I'll end up doing as well. Except that won't fix the too-wide screen. (I feel sorry for anyone on a wide screen monitor.)

I guess BGA are going for more a concentrated gaming experience rather than a chatty community spirit kind of vibe.
More like "went" past tense. When has this site ever had a chatty community spirit kind of vibe?
Espina

Post by Espina »

Liallan wrote: 23 May 2019, 05:41
I never used the general chat and I still don't like the change, mostly cause of the wider screen space that I find no use for, and almost seems too wide and too much for my eyes to deal with all at once, and doesn't enhance the game itself in any way at all. Except that now on the game there's that silly thing down in the corner popping up occasionally. I haven't looked how to turn it off, but that's what I'll end up doing as well. Except that won't fix the too-wide screen. (I feel sorry for anyone on a wide screen monitor.)
I really don't understand this "screen is too wide" complaint. Can't you just resize your browser window?
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

Espina wrote: 23 May 2019, 09:09
Liallan wrote: 23 May 2019, 05:41
I really don't understand this "screen is too wide" complaint. Can't you just resize your browser window?
Sure, but it's not like this is the only place I'm using it and I'm not going to keep adjusting it every time I want to take a few turns.
vichy

Post by vichy »

RicardoRix wrote: 22 May 2019, 16:32 I guess BGA are going for more a concentrated gaming experience rather than a chatty community spirit kind of vibe.

If on this website the conversation had been encouraged, the chat would have no block to post more than once per minute and in the forum there would be, as in 90% of forums, an offtopic sub-forum where to talk about life in general
beri

Post by beri »

+1 with Silene about the moving table list and suggestion list.

The general chat I didn’t care about for its chat aspect. However, I now struggle to see who, in my friends list, has logged on and off.
Daredek

Post by Daredek »

Admittedly it has been two months. But I really thought they were going to bring back the old General messages Chat Window.

Is there a way to open up the Window with current messages posted? I have been opening a new window to get the General messages tab to pop up. Unfortunately, when I click on the tab, the message area is blank! And there is no 'Load Previous' link.

Return to “Discussions”