Is there a way to lower the racism that stops me from a 'chance' to win?

Discussions about BGA (all languages)
Forum rules
Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
More info & details about how to challenge a moderation: viewtopic.php?p=119756
SayWut

Is there a way to lower the racism that stops me from a 'chance' to win?

Post by SayWut »

I've played many different games here, and there has been a lot of improvements (thanks!). However, one element I still cannot find a way to get around to have a chance to play to win. So many times players will literally gang up on me to stop me to even play decently. I mean at least half the time that was the case, even a few cases where Asian players will do the same (I'm part Asian, that helps me in game, but I despise racism). There is no way to report for king making as you don't know who to pinpoint as 'king' since they all just want to make sure I'm last place and can care less about who will become the winner. I've complained about this but nothing is done and I know it's hard to 'fix' this major problem. I tried to ignore that but my rating keeps going down and I'm really not that bad of a player (I thought I was at the beginning until the good players tried to pinpoint my 'problems' and all turns out not true except for racists behavior that stopped me from advancing. Some people told me I should just stop playing that game... great advice. I might just have to do that. :( Btw, I say racism based on they were all from same continent, or speaks same languages, or simply just hates Asians. At least one game where the guy was honest to say 'Latinos united', whereas others just ignore me when I asked why make certain moves in game that only hurts me.
RicardoRix

Re: Is there a way to lower the racism that stops me from a 'chance' to win?

Post by RicardoRix »

You can try 2 player games - that way you can't be ganged up upon.

I've side-stepped the racism and king-making accusations, which if true is deplorable.
N_Faker

Post by N_Faker »

Do you display your race or ethnicity in lieu with your BGA account anywhere easily accessible?
Have you informed someone on BGA of your race or ethnicity?
Or does a racist you know 'in real life' also use BGA, who also knows of your account?
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

Refer to my first post on this thread:
https://boardgamearena.com/forum/viewto ... lit=saywut

I stand by the answer I gave you then. I watched a game where you claimed you were targeted the entire game, which was not true. So it's difficult to listen to you now because you never seemed credible. I remember you from that thread from 2 years ago.

And I'll add that whoever out there is a racist (and of course they exist), you are not going to change them, the site is not going to change them, protesting is not going to change them, nothing is going to change them. I don't know why people think they can magically change those kind of embedded feelings in someone. (The bad part of that is that it's not related to games or you, and will still be inside them whether you're around to see it or not.) In terms of the site doing anything about the players, sure they could, but you need some kind of proof. Being from the same continent or speaking the same language isn't proof. You never had any proof two years ago that I could see.
MrKris

Post by MrKris »

To learn and play a good many of the games on BGA requires a level of time, focus, determination and the general willingness to learn. I'm not saying that there aren't people that may be racist here but the type of people that have these attributes generally aren't going to be racist. They're here to play with others.

It's pretty unfair to label people racist because they're from the same country which is different than yours or speak another language. People make moves which are best for their game. If a few people make moves against you in a game, it's because they're playing to win, not because they're racist.
SayWut

Post by SayWut »

N_Faker wrote: 05 June 2019, 09:51 Do you display your race or ethnicity in lieu with your BGA account anywhere easily accessible?
Have you informed someone on BGA of your race or ethnicity?
Or does a racist you know 'in real life' also use BGA, who also knows of your account?
I think the flag gives it away
SayWut

Post by SayWut »

MrKris wrote: 22 June 2019, 06:39 To learn and play a good many of the games on BGA requires a level of time, focus, determination and the general willingness to learn. I'm not saying that there aren't people that may be racist here but the type of people that have these attributes generally aren't going to be racist. They're here to play with others.

It's pretty unfair to label people racist because they're from the same country which is different than yours or speak another language. People make moves which are best for their game. If a few people make moves against you in a game, it's because they're playing to win, not because they're racist.
When I say racists, I mean playing with people from same continent or same country and just gang up on me while kingmaking one other person. Just like today, playing hearts. All three from Europe. One person was at 100 and the Spanish player was at #3 place. He fed me 2 queen of aces and had the chance to feed the other European player with 100. He didn't do so. I asked him to stop kingmaking and asked why just wanting me out? He laughed and said they don't like me and I don't know any of them. I reported but no use.

Return to “Discussions”