Discussions about BGA (all languages)
Forum rules
Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
More info & details about how to challenge a moderation: viewtopic.php?p=119756
muppet baby

karma penalties - ther proable trick into getin gyou to buy premium

Post by muppet baby »

is the karma penalties so harsh to encourage people to buy premium,

so many times from my mobile device , game displayed disconnected from game server and I am penalised for being out of time, or quitting the game,
sometimes is just the need of rebooting the phone, but I cant tell people this, because if karma is low you can tell anyone this may happen

even when I have been on a pc, message flash up disconnected from game server

but amazingly when I am building karma back up from say 10 to 30 everything is ok, back in the 30s and amazingly the problems reoccur again

one occasionally the board game had not even loaded passed 10%, and crashed so after rebooting, lo and behold karma penalty again, not my fault

its a shame this keeps happening, I am a board game collector and player and have some of the same games,

if this is not a bug to get you to buy premium, then I am put off buying premium as I don't want to spend the money if its always going to keep crashing out
sourisdudesert
Administrateur

Re: karma penalties - ther proable trick into getin gyou to buy premium

Post by sourisdudesert »

Sorry but I do not understand your message.

Premium account has no impact on Karma. Premium players are expected to finish their games like anyone else, and there is no "reputation bonus" associated with Premium. We don't do this because we want that everyone behave nicely on BGA, and we consider that paying should not be an excuse to quit games in progress.

Now, about your disconnection. You can check here the status of Board Game Arena:
https://boardgamearena.com/serverstatus ... =last_hour

As you can see, the service is stable. Today was not a good example because we had a little crash during 10 minutes, but this is quite rare as you can see on the "latest month" view. If the other players manage to play (and keep a good reputation) and not you, maybe you should consider that the problem may come from your network connection or your phone. As any realtime gaming service, BGA requires a very stable connection.

You can check that everything is fine on the page below. However, if your network connexion is bad from time to time, the test may succeed or failed depending on the moment. The best way to see what's wrong would be to use another device and/or another connexion to see where the problem come from.

http://boardgamearena.com/troubleshoot

Hope this helps.
muppet baby

Post by muppet baby »

Well I did state even when using a computer.

As well as my phone .So have used other device

Again today 7wonders crashed at loading at 40%.

By time reloaded and logged back on kicked from game and list 20. Karma fir not even my fault.

Please can you reinstate this karma
sourisdudesert
Administrateur

Post by sourisdudesert »

Hello,

If it does not work from your computer too, then the probable cause is the network (or a browser extension, like an ad blocker). BGA was 100% operational at the time you received this penalty, as you can see here: https://boardgamearena.com/serverstatus ... =last_hour

I removed your latest penalty to help you, but I won't be able to do it the next time... Please check your network / configuration and try to change network.
muppet baby

Post by muppet baby »

Thanks ft or help .yes noticed the restoration....

Don't know how I would check the configuration... Anyway you may notice from my activity. That I was up in the 50s. With karma. So played through enough gsmes....
Had to re-set phone during Carcassone just now. Do list 20 points again.

If you can't change that. Is there s way to at least the the vast aminya of points taken off. Or increase the gain for pkaying
eoc

Post by eoc »

I feel like a player who frequently causes delays / problems for the entire table(!) because of connection problems – no matter what's behind them (even though it sounds like you might want to investigate) – should not possess a high ranking in what, aside from playing a few games against you, is basically the only way to judge how likely a table is to finish a complete game in time.

Cancelling penalties usually happens when it's clear the players were not in a position to change (i.e. server outages on the BGA side) or a bug / punishable player behavior affects a certain player's ability to take a valid action. Cancelling penalties for exceeding your clock simply when someone exceeds their clock (or offsetting them with a couple plays, as you suggest) can't be the goal. The system is designed to easily forgive the occasional issue, but notify others when it becomes a recurring problem.

Personally, I don't care much for my opponent's karma in 2-player games. With increasing player count, I'm more inclined to restrict by reputation when hosting a table, since other players will be affected by my choice of allowing unreliable players. And yeah, you might seriously want to investigate those frequent drops to eventually solve them: are other websites affected too? If yes, what kind of websites? What symptoms can you discern, are there patterns in when / where / how the problems manifest etc. – that's for you and perhaps your ISP to figure out, BGA can't assist even though I'm sure they would want to help you if they could!
Silene

Post by Silene »

until you figured out, what the problem causing the disconnections is on your side, maybe you can try out playing turn-based games...
Hosting Allround-League: https://boardgamearena.com/group?id=7870115 --> a league where you have matches of random games vs. other players in your group - season 6 started in Nov. '23 with 128 participants.

Return to “Discussions”