Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
More info & details about how to challenge a moderation: viewtopic.php?p=119756
darkfinale

Re: FAQ: new achievements & XP system

Post by darkfinale »

Topic:
ELO and XP Computations

Question:
I'm currently playing Incan Gold, and looking at the top ELO players All-Time.

The current ELO range is 350-450. I checked all these players' profiles, and they all have less than 20 games under their belt.

How is it alright for these players to get massive amounts of XP when they have played so little games?

One could simply create many accounts, re-try, wait for a lucky streak of 15 games and leave the account to rot with 15 games and an inflated ELO.

Is there anything that can be done about this?

Thank you.
asd123321

Post by asd123321 »

I don't see why the different amount of points are awarded for first game or 100 games
I have always thought being an expert should get a lot more points because you have to beat a lot of people. You could be in the top 5 much easier with a game that doesn't have a lot of players. To be accurate, you need to run a program
to see if they ever got expert or top player in the past. Where is the list of top XP players?
Last edited by asd123321 on 15 April 2020, 20:47, edited 2 times in total.
Miso_Katsu_Don

Post by Miso_Katsu_Don »

There is no problem in the case of popular works, but is it always 0 points for an unpopular game competition where there are not 10 participants in the first place?
lemoncheese

Post by lemoncheese »

sounds great!
yoyote

Post by yoyote »

Hi,
I've already got 200 ELO at Belote, but even after a game played today, I still don't have the '200 ELO award'.
Is it normal ?
Do need I repeat all achievments that I have already done before, to purchase them definitively ?
By the way, thanks ! this new achievements system looks like fun.

Edit to be more clear :
-I was 200 ELO in march for a specific game.
-Now I'm160 ELO for this game.
We can consider that the achievement '200 ELO' is purchased.
But maybe the past doesn't count ?
Last edited by yoyote on 15 April 2020, 20:09, edited 2 times in total.
Tyeor

Post by Tyeor »

darkfinale wrote: 15 April 2020, 15:35 The current ELO range is 350-450. I checked all these players' profiles, and they all have less than 20 games under their belt.
How is it alright for these players to get massive amounts of XP when they have played so little games?
One could simply create many accounts, re-try, wait for a lucky streak of 15 games and leave the account to rot with 15 games and an inflated ELO.
Is there anything that can be done about this?
I disagree with the second part : creating many accounts and then let it rot isn't very great as it then gives you XP points only on a particular game and won't help you have a specific account with really a nice amiunt of XP.

BUT I do strongly agree with the first part. Here you talked about Incan Gold but this is true for both :
- 4p or 5p games (French Tarot, Saboteur, etc)
- the least popular games.

The mechanic behind it is the elo system. Elo system is adequate for games that are 1v1. I thought about it, I have no obviously better solution for 3+ players game, but Elo is partly inadequate for ranking players for a bunch of games on this site.

About new players : BGA's managers decided to give a biggest "K-factor" to new player. This makes the lo evolve in greater proportions in the first 20 games. That way, new players can reach their real elo ("real level") faster and thus be able to play faster with players of the same level. This is fine for popular 1v1 games (Stone Age, Roll for the Galaxy, etc) but isn't for games where the top players won't reach a huge elo : typically less popular games or games depending more heavily on chance (Senet, Jaipur, etc).

---> Maybe the k-factor early boost should be lowered individually for each game considering the top players' Elo.
Klor

Post by Klor »

Can you add a hover over box on the achievements themselves? That way we can get the "title" of the achievement without having to open the screen that lists all of the details?
Grand Capucin

Post by Grand Capucin »

Miso_Katsu_Don wrote: 15 April 2020, 16:16 There is no problem in the case of popular works, but is it always 0 points for an unpopular game competition where there are not 10 participants in the first place?
It can be frustrating, if one wins a tournament and does not get any XP. On the other hand, abuse can also be frustrating. Maybe it is a good idea, if the XP, you can get, increases very slowly for the first 5 oder 10 players. Then it is not very profitable to play many little tournaments, but players get a sense of experience by winning small tournaments.
Grand Capucin

Post by Grand Capucin »

It is so obvious that the new features looks great, that I nearly forgot to mention it. If you find a good formula for tournament XP - and I guess, you will - the update is perfectly fine. 8-)
dschingis27

Post by dschingis27 »

darkfinale wrote: 15 April 2020, 15:35 The current ELO range is 350-450. I checked all these players' profiles, and they all have less than 20 games under their belt.
One could make it in a way that the top ELO position achievements are only unlocked after having played at least 50 or at least 100 matches of a game. I also think that only players having at least 50 or at least 100 matches should be listed in the All-Time rankings.

Return to “Discussions”