We're hiring! (Community manager)

Discussions about BGA (all languages)
Forum rules
Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
More info & details about how to challenge a moderation: viewtopic.php?p=119756
Tokoloshe79

Re: We're hiring! (Community manager)

Post by Tokoloshe79 »

I know of a couple of people who may be interested and potentially strong candidates. However there is no indication of the salary on offer, which is very off-putting. Perhaps you fill in the questionnaire it tells you right at the end, but I doubt many people will do this if they have zero idea what to expect. Is it not possible to be given even a ballpark figure?
jonathanmcc

Post by jonathanmcc »

"Must be native English speaker" looks like a translation issue to me.
"Fluent in English" is probably what was intended.

Also, not realising Irish people are native English speakers is a pretty big diplomatic gaff! :D
voriki

Post by voriki »

shadowphiar wrote: 22 February 2021, 02:05
xxerox wrote: 21 February 2021, 21:09 I also think they should open the position for people from USA too due to all of them being native english speakers.
I'm conjecturing, but I think that part of the reason for wanting applicants to be resident in Europe would be that for a company based in Europe, employing someone in the USA would be considerably more complex in terms of compliance with tax and employment laws.
I thought so too, but now with Brexit, it isn't that easy either to hire someone from the UK.
KongKing123

Post by KongKing123 »

Tokoloshe79 wrote: 22 February 2021, 13:25 However there is no indication of the salary on offer, which is very off-putting. Perhaps you fill in the questionnaire it tells you right at the end, but I doubt many people will do this if they have zero idea what to expect. Is it not possible to be given even a ballpark figure?
I don't know how this is done in your country, but in Belgium the only kind of jobs that publicly communicate salary in advance are government-related positions. For private sector jobs, you need to find out during the interview process.
jonathanmcc wrote: 22 February 2021, 14:51 "Must be native English speaker" looks like a translation issue to me.

Also, not realising Irish people are native English speakers is a pretty big diplomatic gaff! :D
It is not a translation issue, and they mention Ireland as well: https://boardgamearena.com/forum/viewto ... 395#p80395
jonathanmcc

Post by jonathanmcc »

KongKing123 wrote: 22 February 2021, 16:42
Tokoloshe79 wrote: 22 February 2021, 13:25 However there is no indication of the salary on offer, which is very off-putting. Perhaps you fill in the questionnaire it tells you right at the end, but I doubt many people will do this if they have zero idea what to expect. Is it not possible to be given even a ballpark figure?
I don't know how this is done in your country, but in Belgium the only kind of jobs that publicly communicate salary in advance are government-related positions. For private sector jobs, you need to find out during the interview process.
jonathanmcc wrote: 22 February 2021, 14:51 "Must be native English speaker" looks like a translation issue to me.

It is not a translation issue, and they mention Ireland as well: https://boardgamearena.com/forum/viewto ... 395#p80395
I was referring to the earlier poster who thought that the UK is the only country in Europe with native English speakers.
He was wondering whether he had the diplomatic skills for the job :).
mrdoctor

Post by mrdoctor »

KongKing123 wrote: 22 February 2021, 16:42
I'm in the UK, salaries are generally communicated in the job advert here.
Meg The best

Post by Meg The best »

Hi, I am not from europe but from Africa and My english is just perfect please hire me. :D Good luck to anyone although.
KongKing123

Post by KongKing123 »

Meg The best wrote: 24 February 2021, 15:04 [...] My english is just perfect [...]

Good luck to anyone although.
Not to sound harsh, but you've pretty much discredited yourself in just one sentence: https://grammarist.com/usage/although-though/
Recyclops

Post by Recyclops »

Tokoloshe79 wrote: 22 February 2021, 13:25 I know of a couple of people who may be interested and potentially strong candidates. However there is no indication of the salary on offer, which is very off-putting. Perhaps you fill in the questionnaire it tells you right at the end, but I doubt many people will do this if they have zero idea what to expect. Is it not possible to be given even a ballpark figure?
A lot of places do not include salary, but they do not ask for a resume or CV either. The job description is very short too. It seems more like a volunteer application than a job application.
Cullich

Post by Cullich »

xxerox wrote: 20 February 2021, 14:48 Coincidentaly enough, i know people who speak english as a second or third language better than native tongue speakers.
I know lots and lots and lots of non-native speakers who know English better than lots and lots of native speakers. I know at least in the U.S., English skills have gone totally down the tubes. If you are trying to get a point across, then everything needs to be proper.

Really, someone fluent in English should be the requirement.

Return to “Discussions”