Field scoring

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
limesz33

Field scoring

Postby limesz33 » 08 April 2018, 22:08

Hi. Could you explain me with some example what is the real difference between international rules (3 points for city touching each field) and First edition rules (3 points for most farmers around each city)? Thanks.

Liallan

Re: Field scoring

Postby Liallan » 09 April 2018, 10:08

This is my understanding of it based on what someone once posted to me when I had the same question. The two statements sound alike to me - it's a subtle difference in wording.

In the first, the international rules, you are looking from a field's "point of view." So you follow that field around everywhere until it gets blocked by something, and count each (completed) city touching that field as 3 points. Of course that is to the player(s) with the most meeples in that field. So when scoring, you're checking the fields one at a time. It seems this is the way it is most played.

In the second, the very original rules, you are looking at it from the city's point of view, so that all meeples in all fields surrounding that city will count. So if two fields were touching a city, you would take both fields into consideration when determining who has the most meeples. When scoring, you're checking each city one at a time. As far as I know, that only existed in the very first edition, and I don't think a lot of people even know about it. I'd never heard of it. (I learned the game around 2012/13 and that rule was long gone.)

I think the easiest way to deal with this is looking at which point of view you are taking, respectively: field's point of view and what cities are touching that field, OR city's point of view and which fields are touching that city.

I hope that makes sense.

Return to “Carcassonne”