Do not offer partisan placement when it's illegal

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
_Kex_

Do not offer partisan placement when it's illegal

Post by _Kex_ »

I place a tile, confirm the placement and then I get to choose all the places that a partisan can be placed on regardless of if it's a legal placement or not (i.e. in an already occupied city, road or a farm)
can this be done so that placements that are not legal are not offered?

thanks
CraWleR

Re: Do not offer partisan placement when it's illegal

Post by CraWleR »

Makes sense. I haven't seen the code of Carcassonne, but I assume it should not require major refactoring for this to work.

If enough people wanted this to be implemented and the developers gave access, I wouldn't mind implementing the change.
_Kex_

Post by _Kex_ »

CraWleR wrote:I wouldn't mind implementing the change.
:D
sourisdudesert
Administrateur

Post by sourisdudesert »

Hello,

Sorry but this has been done on purpose.

This is a general guidelines on BGA: we offer almost every possible choice, and if it's illegal we display an explicit error message explaining why this is illegal. This way beginners can learn the rules of the game, and the other players cannot think there is a bug when there is a game rule.

If we do this for Carcassonne, we'll received plenty of bug report saying "why I can't place my partisan here", while this was in fact forbidden by the rules.
CraWleR

Post by CraWleR »

Well, if that's the case, then you could technically make a beginner and advanced modes, which would be easy to switch between (could just be a button click) and the suggested change would only affect advanced, couldn't you?

Though it seems from development documentation that BGA usually tries to avoid such options. Correct?
sourisdudesert
Administrateur

Post by sourisdudesert »

Well... honestly this does not really help. Most players play with default options... and even experienced players can sometimes made mistake and do not understand why they are not allowed to place a partisan.

A possible solution would be to display a different icon on the "no possible partisan" spaces, and to continue to display an explicit message if the player insists.
_Kex_

Post by _Kex_ »

sourisdudesert wrote:A possible solution would be to display a different icon on the "no possible partisan" spaces
i see your point
actually my suggestion was driven by the fact that I play a lot of my games on my mobile phone (and still - great job on the responsiveness of the page!!!) and that it's very hard to click on the right place to put my partisan when the spots are tiny and there are a lot of them.

the idea with "a different icon" could be useful and a sort of a "compromise" between our ideas :)
if you display (i.e.) a red X then the "beginner" players will see that there "could be a partisan there" but since the area is occupied it's illegal

Return to “Carcassonne”