For RaceFTG Experts, AA and Xeno Invasion

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
nmego

For RaceFTG Experts, AA and Xeno Invasion

Post by nmego » 03 November 2019, 14:32

In terms of "Balance", are these Expansions as balanced as the base expansions?

fafa-fr

Re: For RaceFTG Experts, AA and Xeno Invasion

Post by fafa-fr » 04 November 2019, 23:24

Are you speaking about balance between different strategies?
I don't know Xeno Invasion, but I think Alien Artifacts is very good in terms of strategy balance (I'm only speaking of games without the Orb, I've never played with).
In the base game without expansions, the strategy that often wins is making points with VP chips (production worlds, produce / consumeX2).
With the first expasion arc (gathering storm, rebel vs imperium), you often win with military / goals / placing big points in your tableau (dev6 and big military worlds). (I've never played without goals, don't know if it changes much)
With Alien Artifacts, the different strategies are balanced, none of them wins much more often.

If you're speaking about balance of the start worlds, or of the cards in general, I think there's not much difference. Like in the base game and the first expansions, a few cards will only be good in some very specific situations, a few cards will often be very helpful (but they're quite expensive), but most cards will regularly be played without being overpowered.

Curious to see if other players agree.

nandblock

Post by nandblock » 05 November 2019, 06:34

I don't think this is strictly true:

"In the base game without expansions, the strategy that often wins is making points with VP chips (production worlds, produce / consumeX2)."

There are 3 or 4 main strategies which will depend on the cards you get. Produce/Consume is strong in 2-player if you can snag the right worlds and get something that gives you cards during those phases. But the other two main strategies can be very strong: development spam (usually with Galactic Developers in hand) or settle spam (usually with military and appropriate 6-developments). If you get the Trade 6-dev or Black Market World, then you can also totally ignore consumption--let your opponent do it, it just helps you; just make sure you have a tradeable good, and focus on big-scoring developments and worlds.

irakun

Post by irakun » 08 November 2019, 11:26

I dont know about Xeno, but AA seems to be a bit unbalanced towards military strategies as the base game seems to be unbalanced towards produce/comsumption...

Return to “Race for the Galaxy”