Not many people play Arena?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
Wonderboat

Not many people play Arena?

Post by Wonderboat » 11 September 2021, 02:43

Hey guys :)

I was just wondering why I get games on Arena much slower than if I just make a table? I'm 300 ELOish, I guess I'm only bronze league atm because I can't be patient enough to wait for Arena games. Will my queue time get much faster if I get a higher Arena rank? Or is it just not popular because people don't like TGS expansion, or what?

Thanks!

jmcl99

Re: Not many people play Arena?

Post by jmcl99 » 11 September 2021, 16:07

I believe, from comments in other forums, that the Arena matching algorithm has been modified recently to try and produce games between people of a similar rank. This stemmed from complaints that too often you would get games matching an Elite player against a Bronze player. The Elite players would complain that a win would net them very little advancement but a loss would drop their ranking a lot. Conversely the Bronze players would compiain thet they were being put in games they couldn't win.
A look at the RTFG stats shows that over 41000 Arena games have been played this season so Arena mode is certainly not unpopular.
I've recently hit a similar situation with Lucky Numbers.

Retired Actuary

Post by Retired Actuary » 12 September 2021, 03:42

I’ve sort of been ignoring the arena button. Other than clicking on it, how can I tell what expansion is being played? Thanks.

TS GiN

Post by TS GiN » 12 September 2021, 10:15

Sometimes the real time searches take so long you forget you're in them and you lose a bunch of karma / elo :D

Wonderboat

Post by Wonderboat » 15 September 2021, 12:24

Thanks for the replies!

I got instant games today. Maybe just got my ELO high enough that it was faster or something. But many times when I was lower rated it would take a bunch of minutes to get 1 game, whereas a custom game would fill instantly. That's why I made the topic, but it's all good now. Can't be sure it was getting a better ELO that fixed it but that's my best guess.

Wonderboat

Post by Wonderboat » 15 September 2021, 13:01

Retired Actuary wrote:
12 September 2021, 03:42
I’ve sort of been ignoring the arena button. Other than clicking on it, how can I tell what expansion is being played? Thanks.
It's "The Gathering Storm" expansion + Base right now.

Return to “Race for the Galaxy”