Game Abandoned ELO RFTG

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
shaunp

Game Abandoned ELO RFTG

Post by shaunp »

Why are the ELO changes not shown for abandoned RFTG games? I still want to see what ELO I have gained or lost from an abandoned game, but this information is not displayed. Is the loser (in a 2 person game) penalised on ELO for having the least amount of time remaining, or is ELO calculated normally? It seems, but I cannot check, that ELO lost may be higher than normal ... Please display this information as per a normal game.
CB Droege

Re: Game Abandoned ELO RFTG

Post by CB Droege »

There are no changes for a abandoned game. It's as if it was never played.
Jest Phulin

Post by Jest Phulin »

Also, make sure to understand the difference between an abandoned game and a conceded game.

Abandoning is when all players agree that there is something more important than playing the game. The system treats it as if the game never happened.

Conceding is when one player in a 2-player game, once more than half of the game has been played, decides that they would rather take a loss than continue the game. The system counts it as a completed game, with ELO calculated normally.
shaunp

Post by shaunp »

CB Droege wrote: 17 March 2020, 12:18 There are no changes for a abandoned game. It's as if it was never played
That is incorrect!. Games are 'abandoned' because they have run out of time "The game was abandoned automatically because the players did not manage to finish it before the next round of the tournament. The player with the most remaining thinking time wins the game."

AND ELO points are calculated and applied. BUT there is no notification as to how many ELO points. And it appears that there may be penalty ELO points. Thus my original question.
Jest Phulin

Post by Jest Phulin »

Ah. This is a tournament game instead of a standard game. In this case the terminology is a bit different, and "abandoned" is a mistranslation (English -> English) of the original intent.

You should still be able to go into your games history from your profile page, and see the individual ELO adjustment for the game.

And, if you are talking about table 66485689 (your last RTFG game before this post) your comment of "[my opponent] prematurely ended game when there was still more than 12 hours left available to play" indicates that you may have a misunderstanding of how the timing in tournament games work. The game was set for a 2 day duration. This doesn't mean the game can drag out for 2 days, it means that it will have a maximum time of 2 days. Each player still has their own clock, with the total time being 2 days. As such, each player in a 2-player game only has 1 day (24 hours) for their own moves. If you take more time, you do not automatically get to use the opponent's time to finish the game. You thought for 25:46, which exceeded your allowed thinking time.
Last edited by Jest Phulin on 23 March 2020, 01:49, edited 1 time in total.
CB Droege

Post by CB Droege »

Oh, yep. Sorry. Abandoned can mean something different in Tourney games. It's confusing because tourney games can also be abandoned by agreement, then they count for nothing, but if they are abandoned automatically because of time, then there is an Elo change, I think calculated the same way as a normal win in a 1v1 game.

You can see it in the Game Results page. Just mouse over your player card on that screen and see the math. Here's a screenie of me doing it for a recent tourney game which I lost in this manner:

Return to “Race for the Galaxy”