Suggestion to improve canceling an action

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
SpicyPonyHead

Suggestion to improve canceling an action

Post by SpicyPonyHead »

Here's a suggestion for Race for the Galaxy: improve a player's ability to change his or her mind during the choosing of actions.

Each turn you choose 2 actions. If you want to change your mind about either of those choices, you must first make both choices and then cancel your choices.

However, if you don't cancel BEFORE the other player makes her choices, you will have no chance to cancel at all. Rather, the instant you choose your second action, the game proceeds with your choices.

In short, the game punishes you if you make a mistake or aren't lightning quick.

I vote the choosing round worked this way:

1. You choose your first action. A button would appear at the top of the screen "cancel 1st choice".
2. Next, you can either move on to your 2nd choice or hit "cancel 1st choice" and go back to step 1.
3. When you make your 2nd choice, two buttons appear beside "cancel 1st choice": a new "cancel 2nd choice" button and "submit your choices".

Basically, it would work the same way as other games on BGA that allow you to cancel your first, 2nd, or 3rd action. I think "Off the Rails" has this function built in.

Thanks for reading this!
galehar

Re: Suggestion to improve canceling an action

Post by galehar »

I might look into this at some point, but in the meantime, when you've selected your first action and the other player has chosen both and the undo button has thus disappeared, if you refresh your browser it will be back.
Retired Actuary

Post by Retired Actuary »

One thing that has happened to me a couple of times is that as I reached to cancel my choices, my opponent finalized theirs, so I inadvertently clicked the button that said “skip development” (or skip settle). Offsetting the cancel button more to the right would fix that, and the space is there.

A little different from the OP, but similar category.
Retired Actuary

Post by Retired Actuary »

I see a nice improvement now!
galehar

Post by galehar »

Yeah, I just fixed it :)
Spiraboo

Post by Spiraboo »

It would be very nice if we can have a cancel button on any action (development, settle most importantly). It can work a bit like the one in Welcome to, where there's it's a 5 second timer to change your mind, and you can always change your mind after 5 seconds if your opponents is still thinking.

I often find my self regretting my decision instantly on which card to use on development/settle but has already made my choice and it was too late to change my mind. :lol:

Return to “Race for the Galaxy”