Vote for season 5 expansion!

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs

Which expansion for Race For the Galaxy season 5?

Poll ended at 21 March 2021, 23:16

base game
26%
The Gathering Storm
18%
Rebel vs Imperium
7%
Brink of War
15%
Alien Artefact
28%
Xeno Invasion
5%

Total votes: 212

m10rost

Re: Vote for season 5 expansion!

Post by m10rost »

As for the basic version, in my opinion, the numbers are not indicative. Newbies prefer to play this version and this fictitiously increases its popularity.
I've played all versions and think all of them have pro and contra, but basic is too primitive.
galehar

Post by galehar »

m10rost wrote: 21 March 2021, 19:59 As for the basic version, in my opinion, the numbers are not indicative. Newbies prefer to play this version and this fictitiously increases its popularity.
I've played all versions and think all of them have pro and contra, but basic is too primitive.
I agree, there's probably a large part of the base game players who don't care at all about Arena. Also, the 8% Xeno means that Arena players are only a small minority of RFTG players on BGA.
For me also, it's hard to go back to base game when I've played so much with expansions. But I wouldn't call it primitive. It's still a deep game, and I still enjoy playing it! :)
Anyway, Alien Artifact won the vote! I'll put the Orb to the vote.
m10rost

Post by m10rost »

galehar,
In my opinion, to play Alien Artifacts without orb is nonsense. In this case, many cards lose their value, and the game becomes a kind of basic version.
MoiMagnus

Post by MoiMagnus »

m10rost wrote: 22 March 2021, 10:27 galehar,
In my opinion, to play Alien Artifacts without orb is nonsense. In this case, many cards lose their value, and the game becomes a kind of basic version.
Literally 98.3% of AA games are without orbs. For comparison, only 4% of AI games are without invasion. I'm pretty convinced that "the base game but better" (but without goals, prestige, ...) is what most peoples who voted for AA want.

I would not say "many" cards lose their value, though some definitely do: the two copies of Alien Survey Technology become pretty bad; but the other cards are still interesting to play.
galehar

Post by galehar »

m10rost wrote: 22 March 2021, 10:27 galehar,
I disagree. Only 2 cards (4 with duplicates) have Orb powers. In games without Orb, it makes them more situational. Some 6 dev score for some artifacts so they are a bit weaker. Many players enjoy AA without Orb. Many players play arc 1 without goals and without takeover. The modules are optional, playing without them is not "nonsense".
Anyway, let's vote.
m10rost

Post by m10rost »

galehar wrote: 22 March 2021, 11:50 ... Many players play arc 1 without goals and without takeover...
but why are they playing without it? Their reason is the most important point for understanding ;)
galehar

Post by galehar »

m10rost wrote: 22 March 2021, 12:00
galehar wrote: 22 March 2021, 11:50 ... Many players play arc 1 without goals and without takeover...
but why are they playing without it? Their reason is the most important point for understanding ;)
Because the enjoy the game more without the modules? The expansions still bring new cards and change the game.
m10rost

Post by m10rost »

galehar wrote: 22 March 2021, 12:24
m10rost wrote: 22 March 2021, 12:00
Because the enjoy the game more without the modules? The expansions still bring new cards and change the game.
or because playing orb cards is not very simple for newbies of this expansion? ;)

Return to “Race for the Galaxy”