Not many people play Arena?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
Wonderboat

Not many people play Arena?

Post by Wonderboat »

Hey guys :)

I was just wondering why I get games on Arena much slower than if I just make a table? I'm 300 ELOish, I guess I'm only bronze league atm because I can't be patient enough to wait for Arena games. Will my queue time get much faster if I get a higher Arena rank? Or is it just not popular because people don't like TGS expansion, or what?

Thanks!
jmcl99

Re: Not many people play Arena?

Post by jmcl99 »

I believe, from comments in other forums, that the Arena matching algorithm has been modified recently to try and produce games between people of a similar rank. This stemmed from complaints that too often you would get games matching an Elite player against a Bronze player. The Elite players would complain that a win would net them very little advancement but a loss would drop their ranking a lot. Conversely the Bronze players would compiain thet they were being put in games they couldn't win.
A look at the RTFG stats shows that over 41000 Arena games have been played this season so Arena mode is certainly not unpopular.
I've recently hit a similar situation with Lucky Numbers.
Retired Actuary

Post by Retired Actuary »

I’ve sort of been ignoring the arena button. Other than clicking on it, how can I tell what expansion is being played? Thanks.
TS GiN

Post by TS GiN »

Sometimes the real time searches take so long you forget you're in them and you lose a bunch of karma / elo :D
Wonderboat

Post by Wonderboat »

Thanks for the replies!

I got instant games today. Maybe just got my ELO high enough that it was faster or something. But many times when I was lower rated it would take a bunch of minutes to get 1 game, whereas a custom game would fill instantly. That's why I made the topic, but it's all good now. Can't be sure it was getting a better ELO that fixed it but that's my best guess.
Wonderboat

Post by Wonderboat »

Retired Actuary wrote: 12 September 2021, 03:42 I’ve sort of been ignoring the arena button. Other than clicking on it, how can I tell what expansion is being played? Thanks.
It's "The Gathering Storm" expansion + Base right now.
JEricB

Post by JEricB »

Arena uses expansions that make the interface issues more problematic. I avoid Arena for that reason.
Retired Actuary

Post by Retired Actuary »

JEricB wrote: 23 November 2021, 22:02 Arena uses expansions that make the interface issues more problematic. I avoid Arena for that reason.
Well, this season has swung in the other direction, as it’s the base game with no expansions (which has issues of its own).

Return to “Race for the Galaxy”