Is next player’s roll what you would have rolled?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
FT3

Is next player’s roll what you would have rolled?

Post by FT3 » 07 September 2021, 02:38

You’re progressing on columns x, y and z, you’re one from the top of column x but it just seems too risky, you choose to stop and save progress and hope no one else wins before your next turn...

Then the next player’s dice are rolled and he/she gets x - the number you needed to win, if you had chosen to continue would you have got the numbers that the next player ended up getting?

Basically, my question is about the way the game is programmed, anyone know?

voriki

Re: Is next player’s roll what you would have rolled?

Post by voriki » 07 September 2021, 08:52

I can't say exactly, but I doubt that.

The RNG (random number generator) would only kick in for each roll, otherwise by the start of the game it could already keep a hidden list of the first 100 rolls generates just once at the start of the game, regardless of players choices.

Jest Phulin

Post by Jest Phulin » 07 September 2021, 16:54

The RNG function on BGA is a server-wide call. IE, for every game that requires a random number, the function is called when that game needs it. In any given second, it may send 4 dice to Can't Stop, 2 dice to backgammon, 5 dice to Seasons, a deck shuffle to Race for the Galaxy, 4 dice to a different Can't Stop game, a board setup to Chess960, etc., etc.
The fact that your opponent rolled X doesn't mean that you would have (considering the microsecond delay in saving the progress earned and switching the active player). It just means that you'll remember it more, and think the dice and the site are against you.

FT3

Post by FT3 » 07 September 2021, 19:36

Jest Phulin wrote:
07 September 2021, 16:54
The RNG function on BGA is a server-wide call. IE, for every game that requires a random number, the function is called when that game needs it. In any given second, it may send 4 dice to Can't Stop, 2 dice to backgammon, 5 dice to Seasons, a deck shuffle to Race for the Galaxy, 4 dice to a different Can't Stop game, a board setup to Chess960, etc., etc.
The fact that your opponent rolled X doesn't mean that you would have (considering the microsecond delay in saving the progress earned and switching the active player). It just means that you'll remember it more, and think the dice and the site are against you.
Interesting, thank you! I never would have thought that all games share the same randomiser, it’s good to know that much like rolling the dice yourself or putting them in someone else’s hands to roll the results will be different.

I’ve never thought the dice were against me, well maybe sometimes, but always wonder if the next player getting the number I needed meant I’d quit too soon.

Return to “Can't Stop”