This Game is Absurd!

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
coutsAF

This Game is Absurd!

Post by coutsAF »

All you do in this game is roll the dice. It's borderline even a game. There is a victory condition but there is absolutely no strategy or fun aspect to this game. I cannot see how this has been approved to be on this website. I would like to contact the moderators about this abysmal game.
nmego

Re: This Game is Absurd!

Post by nmego »

Different people have different tastes, and a lot of people like this game, it would be unfair for them for this game to be removed just because one person thinks it is a terrible game.

Just play something else.
aesche

Post by aesche »

There totally can be strategy involved if you want to.

Ofc there always will be luck involved with dice rolls, but the same goes for poker, and hopefully you wouldnt say there is no strategy involved in poker.

(I also like the abstract no–luck games like 9 Men‘s Morris better, but CS is still quite interesting if there is an additional incentive like a tournament or reaching elite in arena, and the strategy is actually quite interesting and complicated.)
fafa-fr

Post by fafa-fr »

coutsAF wrote: 05 May 2020, 05:23 All you do in this game is roll the dice.
No, definitely not. You also choose if you want to continue or not. This is a push your luck game, and many people find it fun. (I do.)
And on your first rolls for each turn, you also choose which combination you choose, which will have an impact on your odds of advancing a lot during this turn. And the choice may depend on if another player is close to winning or not, and on tracks that are still available or closed.
Giordano Bruno 1974

Post by Giordano Bruno 1974 »

coutsAF wrote: 05 May 2020, 05:23 All you do in this game is roll the dice. It's borderline even a game. There is a victory condition but there is absolutely no strategy or fun aspect to this game. I cannot see how this has been approved to be on this website. I would like to contact the moderators about this abysmal game.
You are seriously complaining about a single game on a website that is free to join!

There are hundreds of other games to play. Why does the mere presence of this one cause you so much upset?
Meeplelowda

Post by Meeplelowda »

coutsAF wrote: 05 May 2020, 05:23 All you do in this game is roll the dice. It's borderline even a game. There is a victory condition but there is absolutely no strategy or fun aspect to this game. I cannot see how this has been approved to be on this website. I would like to contact the moderators about this abysmal game.
This game is not to your taste. Fine. But there is more depth than you're giving it credit for (or are able to comprehend). There have actually been academic papers written about it:
Abstract

Can’t Stop is a jeopardy stochastic game played on an
octagonal game board with four six-sided dice. Optimal
strategies have been computed for some simplified
versions of Can’t Stop by employing retrograde analysis
and value iteration combined with Newton’s method.
These computations result in databases that map game
positions to optimal moves. Solving the original game,
however, is infeasible with current techniques and technology.
This paper describes the creation of heuristic
strategies for solitaire Can’t Stop by generalizing an existing
heuristic and using genetic algorithms to optimize
the generalized parameters. The resulting heuristics are
easy to use and outperform the original heuristic by
19%. Results of the genetic algorithm are compared to
the known optimal results for smaller versions of Can’t
Stop, and data is presented showing the relative insensitivity
of the particular genetic algorithm used to the
balance between reduced noise and increased population
diversity.
SluggerBaloney

Post by SluggerBaloney »

Deleted
Last edited by SluggerBaloney on 12 January 2024, 16:47, edited 2 times in total.
nmego

Post by nmego »

SluggerBaloney wrote: 24 May 2020, 17:29
It's not a game. It's a broken random number generator masquerading as a game. AND it's infested with scripted bots on top of it. Save your time and look for the non random games on BGA. The die rollers and card shufflers on this site are hilariously broken.
Shouldn't you use words like "Probably" or "I think" or "In my opinion" or "It is likely" instead of declaring something as the truth, that hasn't been verified yet? It is quite easy to use words in such a confident manner to trick others into accepting them as the absolute truth.

If you're going to claim something with absolute confidence, you should be able to post proper evidence that logically shows how it has to be the truth. In the same post where you make the claim.

The random number generator is broken? Show that to be the case.
A recent attempt to test its randomness here
seems to indicate that is not broken.

I don't have that much experience with can't stop, I'm not claiming that the random number generator is perfect either. But I have played plenty of other games that have a luck-element on this site. 7Wonders, RaceFTG, RollFTG, Innovation, Backgammon. I couldn't really find something major to complain about. It is hard to find a game that has 0 randomness (Except for some of the abstracts). And I do think that games with less-luck should be preferred. But judging from my experience, I don't think that the other games with a luck-element on this site are necessarily broken.

But that's all beside the point, you claim that the random number generator is broken? Please provide evidence.

The same goes for the 'scripted bot claim', which is banned according to the ToS
The Player agrees not to resort to the use of automated systems such as scripts to play or send messages.
The only reasonable post that I've found about this issue was the recent one in this forum. Which seems to be still under investigation, and no clear conclusions have been made yet. If this is the only post of reference, then it is too early to make such a claim as a fact.
SluggerBaloney wrote: 24 May 2020, 17:29 https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... ax/572212/ talks about the latest example of people showing how ridiculously easy it is to get complete and absolute nonsensical garbage peer reviewed and approved for publication in "respected academic journals" by making every other word intelligent sounding jargon. In short, appeals to authority are worthless and you shouldn't be trying to use them to validate an opinion.
Agreed, but it seems to me like yet another interesting game theory/probability problem, that people have actually invested time and effort in studying. So it could be interesting to read up on their results.
Felix531531

Post by Felix531531 »

Sorry, but I do not understand very much of what you are saying. BUT I do like this game. It is fast and does have strategy in it and it can get pretty tense at times. AND looking at the number of games being played...I am NOT alone in my opinion!!
Mcdeth

Post by Mcdeth »

Worst post on the site

Return to “Can't Stop”