Frustrated with this Elo system... again.

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
jaker420

Frustrated with this Elo system... again.

Post by jaker420 »

I thought that the reset fixed everything, but I guess not. I can't play this game as a high ranked player (rank 1 at this moment) unless I play with very low-ranked players. If I play with someone who is a good rank, we not only get +1 or +0 for a win... we sometimes get negative points for WIN. Why can't this system be like Bandido? At least we'd know what to expect. I'm really sad I won't be able to play this game with my friends anymore.
Manassès I

Re: Frustrated with this Elo system... again.

Post by Manassès I »

because you play with very easy option, if you want win Elo point, you must merit them
jaker420

Post by jaker420 »

I do not play easy option- I play 5 SM.
Manassès I

Post by Manassès I »

jaker420 wrote: 17 May 2021, 00:54 I do not play easy option- I play 5 SM.
it is what i said, easy
you need to make 5 SM + jagged rock + triton or leucothea
or your Elo doesn't match with your level
ufm

Post by ufm »

ELO increase has to stop somewhere. If it accumulates infinitely it's not really a 'rating', but rather 'XP'.
The problem is the maximum being too low. Have a look at Forbidden Island, it's even worse.
At least the game should allow reaching Expert or Master level without a series of abandonments.
jaker420 wrote: 17 May 2021, 00:54 I do not play easy option- I play 5 SM.
Currently your best bet is 5 Sea Monsters + Galateia or higher.
Adding Jagged Rocks does not increase your score for now.
Ursula1972

Post by Ursula1972 »

I have just played 5 seamonsters and Leucothea (8 cards missing) with my partner (both ELO 100). I think we have tried it about 6 times and finally we did win with ONLY 9 ELO points....
Vandaley

Post by Vandaley »

Ursula1972 wrote: 27 June 2021, 14:10 I have just played 5 seamonsters and Leucothea (8 cards missing) with my partner (both ELO 100). I think we have tried it about 6 times and finally we did win with ONLY 9 ELO points....
I agree with this, it is set up as a zero-sum game. I have gotten as high as about 130. I did play with the topped ranked player once, and they just abandon when a win is no longer possible, and I am guessing that is the case with most people rated above 300 (or even 200).

I think ELO could be improved if it took a Hanabi approach. While not exactly the same, as Hanabi is a loss if you bomb 3 times and a "win" in all other cases, for all intents and purposes people play Hanabi to get a 30/30 and consider anything else a loss. However, you can gain ELO or lose less ELO if you come close to a 30/30 win.

If there was a point system where you got 1 point for every tile you placed, then you could get some ELO or lose only a little if you come close to winning.
Last edited by Vandaley on 11 August 2021, 02:15, edited 1 time in total.
Ursula1972

Post by Ursula1972 »

Vandaley wrote: 10 August 2021, 19:52 I agree with this, it is set up as a zero-sum game. I have gotten as high as about 130. I did play with the topped ranked player once, and they just abandon when a win is no longer possible, and I am guessing that is the case with most people rated above 300 (or even 200).
when I noticed that (abandon games) I began to hate that game. I can't understand why people do that. Are they getting paid if they have a high rank? Can't you just accept that sometimes the game wins (like hanabi and the crew)?
hasi6562

Post by hasi6562 »

my elo numbers at tranquility are gone. played 47 games and won 27 times. When the trophies were unlocked, I only had 1 elo. why ? I have now played another game and won, but I never got my old elo back. can you clarify that please.
Thank you

Return to “Tranquility”