Tichu players who cheat by privately communicating during play

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
brizsett

Re: Tichu players who cheat

Post by brizsett »

Yasten wrote: 01 August 2021, 03:59 When I see "same IP", I rarely play them XD
Hello everyone!

I've been following this post ever since the subject came up (but fortunately haven't met any of the cheaters mentioned so far), but I'd like to chime in in defence of same IP players. My boyfriend and I live together and since we discovered the board gaming world, we've been playing games nearly every day, mostly on our own. Most of them are tabletop versions, but there are simply games that you cannot play with two players only, so we both decided to register here on BGA to get to experience others as well. Sometimes we play two-player games here online, so same IP warning is not an issue there, but in games with more players we rigorously stick to the no-contact policy - separate rooms on separate floors, no chatting. We both want to win to be able to brag about it later, after all :) So all I'm trying to say is that please do not discriminate against same IP players at the first sight, they (we) just want to experience multiplayer board games, which can be nearly impossible to organise in person.

PS: This is meant to be a general remark, not specifically for Tichu.
NeanderthalMan

Post by NeanderthalMan »

Shazzypaz wrote: 01 August 2021, 21:27Neanderthalman - glad to see your positive summary of spouses and housemates playing on the same IP but honestly doing so. My husband and I like to play together as partners. We prefer to be up front about it and state that we don't talk, etc - which is true and accurate. Some players understandably don't want to play in that situation. It has unfortunately soured us on trying to play together.
brizsett wrote: 02 August 2021, 11:43I've been following this post ever since the subject came up (but fortunately haven't met any of the cheaters mentioned so far), but I'd like to chime in in defence of same IP players. My boyfriend and I live together and since we discovered the board gaming world, we've been playing games nearly every day, mostly on our own. Most of them are tabletop versions, but there are simply games that you cannot play with two players only, so we both decided to register here on BGA to get to experience others as well. Sometimes we play two-player games here online, so same IP warning is not an issue there, but in games with more players we rigorously stick to the no-contact policy - separate rooms on separate floors, no chatting. We both want to win to be able to brag about it later, after all :) So all I'm trying to say is that please do not discriminate against same IP players at the first sight, they (we) just want to experience multiplayer board games, which can be nearly impossible to organise in person.
It's a tough situation for both sides (as far as playing games for meaningless internet points go).

It's hard to give the benefit of the doubt to online strangers when jaded and aware of the fact that the drive to win can bring out anti-competitive behavior. In business ethics, there's a maxim that fraud results from three factors: opportunity, incentive, and rationalization. Individuals are increasingly likely to commit fraud if there's opportunity with little risk of being caught, something of value the want, and they can justify it to themselves. On BGA, colluding is not hard and carries little risk, players usually value ELO and leaderboard positioning, and it's all too easy to objectify anonymous strangers as merely a means to your end. Most players are intuitively aware of this and actively avoid situations such as same IP that would increase their opponents' opportunity to cheat. It's the same reason some only play random and won't join an open table with partners already in seats 1 and 2.

I don't typically join tables started by those on the same IP but will extend trust if they join and acknowledge the situation; basically have a fool-me-once policy. It can cause alarm when two players jump in nearly simultaneously, game starts, and you see the same IP icon on the accept screen and neither have raised the obvious issue in the chat. It comes across as if they're trying to quickly hoodwink the unsuspecting players already at the table. Probably not the case in most situations and more a testament to the difficult of securing a game for those players. In my view, always better to be upfront. Don't think I've ever left a game after it was addressed and assurances were offered.

If you find others are consistently skeptical, one option could be to reach out and try to coordinate plays with partnerships in the same situation. From memory, those I've played against or know on the same IP include: 3baou & beepforsheep; Floral Drama & Ourtsavl; KenH & RobynneH; and Emily0420 & homelandsshi. And then there is of course, you two and your partners.
Last edited by NeanderthalMan on 10 August 2021, 14:00, edited 7 times in total.
NeanderthalMan

Post by NeanderthalMan »

egeltje85 wrote: 02 August 2021, 05:56 Such an interesting read! I've played a lot of tichu, also offline. A lot of strange things can happen. Normally when one player has a long straight, others have as well. And when there is a bomb in the game, it's not unusual that others have a bomb as well.

But structurally weakening your own hand to miraculously complete a bomb of your partner is suspicious...
Yes, given card distribution, if you have long straight, likely others do as well. Similarly, multiple sets of trips, everyone else has trips too and passed their random singles likely creating a quad bomb or two. These phenomena are expected and not suspicious in themselves.
Moina2020

Post by Moina2020 »

Is there something fishy going between these two players: */ South Korea and */ Vietnam? :?

Please look at my Tichu log #*.

The last round- GT call, you really give a 10 to your own partner, just to break a straight, so that he has a bomb of 10s? :shock:

And I thought cheating players only come from same nation. :roll:

*Moderation Edit: please do not use the Forums to call players out by name, this is what the Moderation Reports are for. The Forums should remain a general discussion.
ufm

Post by ufm »

Moina2020 wrote: 10 August 2021, 11:12 And I thought cheating players only come from same nation. :roll:
Why should it be? The setting can be changed easily. Actually I've seen someone in BGA faking the nationality to hide their bogus accounts.
NeanderthalMan

Post by NeanderthalMan »

Moina2020 wrote: 10 August 2021, 11:12 Is there something fishy going between these two players: aapeace/ South Korea and mapleland/ Vietnam? :?
The last round- GT call, you really give a 10 to your own partner, just to break a straight, so that he has a bomb of 10s? :shock:
Looks like your suspicions are confirmed. As of this writing, * and * have played * 14 games of Tichu together starting on 09 Aug 2021. The first, they played against each other, the rest on the same team. Both accounts are new, 7 Aug and 18 Jul, respectively. Neither have friended the other.

UPDATE 5: * & *

*Moderation Edit: please do not use the Forums to call players out by name, this is what the Moderation Reports are for. The Forums should remain a general discussion.
Last edited by NeanderthalMan on 28 November 2021, 17:31, edited 4 times in total.
NeanderthalMan

Post by NeanderthalMan »

Last edited by NeanderthalMan on 28 November 2021, 17:33, edited 11 times in total.
Shazzypaz

Post by Shazzypaz »

Fascinating! We should create a group "tichu players who cheat" and invite all of these players into it :-)

I don't understand why these players even bother to cheat. It's not like there is money on the line - just a ranking that has no real value....
NeanderthalMan

Post by NeanderthalMan »

Last edited by NeanderthalMan on 28 November 2021, 17:34, edited 3 times in total.
NeanderthalMan

Post by NeanderthalMan »

Last edited by NeanderthalMan on 28 November 2021, 17:34, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Tichu”