RIP, Hardback arena mode and rankings

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
fr13day

RIP, Hardback arena mode and rankings

Post by fr13day »

Thanks, cheaters, for ruining this for all of us who cared and played this game a lot when it was still in beta and/or alpha, discussed preferences, gave feedback to @quietmint, invested time and passion in trying to make playing this game a great experience for everyone. It'd be nice if karma smacked you on the head with a very hard hardback dictionary.
nccc

Re: RIP, Hardback arena mode and rankings

Post by nccc »

rip
ufm

Post by ufm »

Tournaments are also gone. Guess they have to be manually organized from now on.
JackHH

Post by JackHH »

Sad times! I'd still be keen to keep playing this game (maybe in tournament form) if anybody has the energy to organise tournaments (no 12 dicts please!!!)
karlavaegen

Post by karlavaegen »

Agreed, I for one will definitely keep playing, it was fun to battle for rank but ultimately that's incidental to the main goal (having fun!)

I think it would have been a better compromise to just restrict Arena to real-time, but that's just my 2¢
fr13day

Post by fr13day »

I'll definitely keep playing the game, but it was fun to have the rankings and rivalries with people like karla and Jack... and ufm, you put so much time and work into this game and sharing your insights with the rest of us. It's appreciated.
JackHH

Post by JackHH »

Interestingy, I jut confronted a player who had obviously just started using an anagram solver after getting bored of losing to me in arena mode too many times. They offered no apologising for the use of solver, and claimed that the real injustice was that arena mode was pairing them with an elite player despite being bronze league.

So the motivation here for this cheat was to try and level the playing field for a pairing they perceived to be unfair.

An interesting problem for the mods to think about here. Obviously the pairing algorithm tries not to make uneven pairings, and only does so when there are is just a small number of players playing arena.
wontaketoomuchtime

Post by wontaketoomuchtime »

JackHH wrote: 18 September 2021, 16:36 Interestingy, I jut confronted a player who had obviously just started using an anagram solver after getting bored of losing to me in arena mode too many times. They offered no apologising for the use of solver, and claimed that the real injustice was that arena mode was pairing them with an elite player despite being bronze league.

So the motivation here for this cheat was to try and level the playing field for a pairing they perceived to be unfair.

An interesting problem for the mods to think about here. Obviously the pairing algorithm tries not to make uneven pairings, and only does so when there are is just a small number of players playing arena.
I think you worry too much, they might not be cheating.
ufm

Post by ufm »

JackHH wrote: 18 September 2021, 16:36 They offered no apologising for the use of solver, and claimed that the real injustice was that arena mode was pairing them with an elite player despite being bronze league.
Or play other games or normal mode then? League reset happens every time in Arena mode. It is an intended feature.
Also, everyone new to the platform starts from Bronze 1 or 0 ELO regardless of their skill.
'Cheated because I got bored of losing streak against masters of that specific game'. I mean, come on. Nothing but a mere terrible excuse.
They were not leveling the playing field. They were utterly destroying it instead. A typical sore loser.
wontaketoomuchtime wrote: 18 September 2021, 18:54 I think you worry too much, they might not be cheating.
So, becoming a guru of letter arrangement from a beginner within a week isn't fishy?
Even Nigel Richards spent nine weeks to memorize French dictionaries. What are the chances?
The post even implies the player in question unwittingly admitted cheating by mentioning 'the real injustice' :?
Octothorpe

Post by Octothorpe »

The way that you queue in arena mode is absolutely disastrous at the moment. There really isn't enough of a playerbase for any one game to have that. We need to have a true "Champion of All Games" arena where you just queue for all the possible game configurations or something. :D

Return to “Hardback”