How to advance in this game?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
mark93193

How to advance in this game?

Post by mark93193 » 18 July 2019, 14:03

Hi everyone! I'm about 200-300 in ELO in this game. How do I get stronger? What are some common mistakes in this level? It seems that just by playing more doesn't work. I may be making the same mistake over and over again in the game.

Jest Phulin

Re: How to advance in this game?

Post by Jest Phulin » 18 July 2019, 16:16

I'm no expert, but from what I've seen to advance you need to start playing the game as a whole, not as just your part.

What I mean by that is try to anticipate what the next player will do, and plan your move accordingly. Let's say that you don't have any goods. You might think that taking Craftsman is a good idea. But, if the next person doesn't have goods either, they might be tempted to take Craftsman if you don't. Will getting that one extra good really be worth giving them more options? If you took Mayor, would you be able to have enough people to produce that extra good on your own?

These are some of the things to think about.

Also, if you head over to BoardGameGeek, there's probably a strategy guide or two floating around.

RicardoRix

Post by RicardoRix » 18 July 2019, 19:52

Analyse your loses.

Play 2 player to help lower the probability of uncertainty and increase your ability to analyse the game.

The art of learning

DrKarotte

Post by DrKarotte » 20 July 2019, 08:28

Try to avoid taking the craftsman whenever possible. The problem that often occurs is when you craft that the next player may take captain or trader and when it is your turn in that phase, all spaces may be blocked and you cannot sell or ship, in worst case you have to destroy the bonus good from the craftsman phase. That does not mean that you should never craft, but it is very important to check how the other players will benefit and what the next players could do with their goods.

Return to “Puerto Rico”