Puerto Rico needs a redesign

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
asd123321

Puerto Rico needs a redesign

Post by asd123321 » 27 January 2020, 02:40

to make it easier to see everything. Buildings are way too small.

Flip the Plantations and ships 90 degrees clockwise and have them right of your player board
Make the player's board much larger. Put the Goods box below the Buildings. Make the Buildings
twice as big

alextingle

Re: Puerto Rico needs a redesign

Post by alextingle » 28 January 2020, 19:20

What kind of screen are you playing on?

Making the player's board larger, and the buildings bigger will likely force your opponents' tableaux off the screen. It's just as important to see what they are up to as it is to see your own stuff.

I play on a wide(ish) screen laptop, and I can see everything without scrolling. I have used some CSS hackery to reduce the size of the message pane. I've put it above the Game status display, which gives more space for the tableaux.

asd123321

Post by asd123321 » 29 January 2020, 01:11

I have a 23" wide screen type. Player's boards aren't visible anyway.

diamant

Post by diamant » 29 January 2020, 22:00

asd123321 wrote:
27 January 2020, 02:40
to make it easier to see everything. Buildings are way too small.
I agree with the subject of this thread: the playing area is arranged despite common sense.

Let’s start with the texts. We can classify them in 3 character sizes, for:
a) roles;
b) titles and players;
c) automatic actions panel.
What is remarkable is to note that the character sizes are in the reverse order of the importance of the text and the frequency of use.

In the real game, a player chooses his role by taking an exposed role card, as well as any doubloons present on the card. I find it deplorable that, for such an essential phase of the game, role cards have been replaced by the selection of a line of text that is very difficult to read. It’s even worse with 5 players, because the two roles cards of the prospector are grouped on a single line.

As for the smallness of the graphics, it does not result from a lack of space: on my screen, the useful elements of the playing area occupy only half of the available surface.

Return to “Puerto Rico”