Does the Black Market actually work on BGA?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
Rooster6975

Does the Black Market actually work on BGA?

Post by Rooster6975 »

I have never played with that building in real life, it is entirely possible I don't understand how it works. It never seems to work in BGA. It says "-1 doubloon for each 1VP, good, colonist (builder phase)." But every time the builder phase comes up, I click on a building to purchase, and it comes up with a message indicating that I can use the Black Market to reduce the cost of the building. But no amount of clicking on the Black Market, or anywhere else actually does anything but bring up a red banner across the top of the screen.

Does the Black Market actually work?

Thanks.
Jest Phulin

Re: Does the Black Market actually work on BGA?

Post by Jest Phulin »

This is a pure guess, as I have not played it here, but how most mechanics of "return something to get a bonus" work on BGA is that you have to click on the returned item before using the bonus.

IE, before selecting a building to build, click on a colonist on your board, or your VP total or goods in your player status box, (then probably the black market,) and finally the building to be purchased.

Or rely on Cunningham's law...
Rooster6975

Post by Rooster6975 »

Ah interesting, ok, I'll try that next time I get a Black Market. I definitely did not click a resource to use first. Tks.
diamant

Post by diamant »

Rooster6975 wrote: 11 July 2020, 02:41Does the Black Market actually work?
The Black Market works, after choosing a building while you don’t have enough doubloons to buy it, up to 3 missing doubloons.
You are then prompted to select one victory point, and/or one good, and/or one colonist, the total to compensate for the number of missing doubloons.
technomage116

Post by technomage116 »

It keeps saying that I haven't traded enough through the black market to use it. It's driving me crazy.
diamant

Post by diamant »

technomage116 wrote: 18 November 2020, 04:09It keeps saying that I haven't traded enough through the black market to use it. It's driving me crazy.
We cannot help you if you do not refer to one or more verifiable gaming situations.
CB Droege

Post by CB Droege »

Also, you might just be misunderstanding the Black Market because the tooltip is incomplete, like many tooltips in Puerto Rico, it doesn't give enough explanation to make it usable.

The black market only works for one colonist, one good, and one chit. If you are trying to trade two colonists for two purchase power, it wont work.
LeBörsch

Post by LeBörsch »

I found out it is possible to reduce the price by using the black market with 3 different goods. This seems to be against the rule. Only one good should be possible according to the wording. What do you think?
Scottus

Post by Scottus »

CB Droege wrote: 18 November 2020, 11:01 ...
The black market only works for one colonist, one good, and one chit. If you are trying to trade two colonists for two purchase power, it wont work.

I know this is an old thread but I've got the same problem.

It says "-1 doubloon for each 1 VP, good, colonist". And the first reply said to click on your VP total, among other things. But you are the first to say it's a VP *chit* (from shipping) that must be spent rather than just a VP (from total). Currently I am trying to spend my only VP to get a -1 discount with no luck. I have no chits yet as it's only round 2, but it doesn't make sense that it has to be a chit because with a physical copy of the game you might only have one 5VP chit. Frustrating. If it has to be a chit I would have taken a different building.
CB Droege

Post by CB Droege »

Scottus wrote: 17 June 2021, 19:29
CB Droege wrote: 18 November 2020, 11:01 ...

I know this is an old thread but I've got the same problem.

It says "-1 doubloon for each 1 VP, good, colonist". And the first reply said to click on your VP total, among other things. But you are the first to say it's a VP *chit* (from shipping) that must be spent rather than just a VP (from total). Currently I am trying to spend my only VP to get a -1 discount with no luck. I have no chits yet as it's only round 2, but it doesn't make sense that it has to be a chit because with a physical copy of the game you might only have one 5VP chit. Frustrating. If it has to be a chit I would have taken a different building.
Yes. It has to be a chit from shipping. Technically, those are the only points you actually have to trade away during the game, as any points from other sources are not calculated until the end of the game. BGA does a running tally of the scores on the player card, but you don't actually have those points yet.

Return to “Puerto Rico”