Show victory points?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
LPFFgames

Show victory points?

Post by LPFFgames »

Hi, I'm new here, and I've been watching a couple of games online. I've noticed victory points were hidden. Is that an option to switch on/off or is it always the case?

I should also ask: why are they hidden, and who feels they should/ shouldn't be?
ufm

Re: Show victory points?

Post by ufm »

The game rule explicitly mentions this.
Base Game Rulebook wrote:A player keeps his victory points, unlike his money and goods, secret from
the others. A player puts his victory point chips face-down on his windrose.
JP93

Post by JP93 »

Hi,
Of course it is the official rule but why Is 'not it possible to have an option to change it?
on stone age you can see the victory points
.B.R.
Jest Phulin

Post by Jest Phulin »

JP93 wrote: Of course it is the official rule but why Is 'not it possible to have an option to change it?
BGA tries to maintain only official rules variants on the site. Since the rules specifically say to keep them hidden (and there are no published variations to that, unlike the switching costs of buildings for the "balanced game" variant), this is the way it is, and should be, implemented.
Liallan

Post by Liallan »

JP93 wrote:Hi,
Of course it is the official rule but why Is 'not it possible to have an option to change it?
on stone age you can see the victory points
.B.R.
As to Stone Age, you can only see the ones you get from buildings and the 3-point card, because in cardboard those are moved on the scoring track. But the ones from card multipliers are not shown, and just like in the real game are hidden.

In Puerto Rico, the points from buildings, which are visible, are shown, and the points taken from the boats are hidden, exactly like the real game.

There is no difference in how these games work here, i.e. there isn't any option to show the hidden points in Stone Age either, so using Stone Age for example is not applicable.
alextingle

Post by alextingle »

It's a bit of a pointless rule, since you can easily count up your opponents' VPs anyway. Use a pencil and paper, if you need to.
Nieva

Post by Nieva »

alextingle wrote: 28 January 2020, 19:29 It's a bit of a pointless rule, since you can easily count up your opponents' VPs anyway. Use a pencil and paper, if you need to.
I agree completely with you. You doesn't even need pencil and paper, since on the history log it's easily identifiable, so anyone with little computer knowledge can do something like this (but better, I hope, since I'm very bad at jq):

Code: Select all

curl -s 'https://boardgamearena.com/1/puertorico/puertorico/notificationHistory.html?table=81353662&from=187&privateinc=1&history=1&dojo.preventCache=1588639539292' | jq '.data.data[].data[] | select(.type | contains("victoryPointsEarned")) | [.args]'  | jq -s -c 'add | group_by(.player_name) | map({"Player": .[0].player_name, ShipmentPoints: map(.delta) | add}) | .[]'
And with that oneline command anyone can use curl to retrieve the response .json from the url with the log (you can see it with the dev tools of the browser, for example), and use "jq" to parse and filter it to only the "points from shippment" events, grouping them by player and adding the points from each event to a total for each player. On that particular game I chose for the example, at the moment the (not so) "secret" points are currently:

Code: Select all

{"Player":"Ekas","ShipmentPoints":8}
{"Player":"MRRM","ShipmentPoints":9}
{"Player":"eusebiol","ShipmentPoints":7}
{"Player":"xauen88 ","ShipmentPoints":3}
Also anyone with patience and pencil and paper can do the math, of course.

Return to “Puerto Rico”