how do i turn off the timer when ive picked my 3rd chip

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
runescience

Post by runescience » 29 April 2021, 04:36

i dont like timers in my games.
seems like training mode should ignore timer.

Calmon70

Re: how do i turn off the timer when ive picked my 3rd chip

Post by Calmon70 » 02 May 2021, 20:47

I also want to know. In other games its in 'options' to turn it of but not in this game. Its especially annoying in turn based games (and even more on mobile)

paramesis

Post by paramesis » 02 May 2021, 20:57

I agree. I really don't like these timers. BGA already has a timer that is configured and agreed upon before the game starts.
There is a suggestion report to change or remove it here: https://boardgamearena.com/bug?id=39891

MoiMagnus

Post by MoiMagnus » 02 May 2021, 21:07

It feels like current situation is a compromise between two guys:
(A) The interface you code is annoying, there is no way to cancel taking tokens after selecting them.
(B) Yeah, but I've tried with a confirmation/cancel, and that's even more annoying to have to click on confirm every turn, and the confirm button is at the top of the screen while the tokens are at the middle, so I have to drag my mouse through the whole screen, etc. I significantly prefer it without a cancel option.
(A) Ok, so let's compromise, let's put a timer after your chose your three gems. So I am happy because I can cancel my actions, and you are happy because you don't need to click on confirm, it automatically does so.
(B) Fine, but only if the timer is short. If the timer is too long, I would still prefer to have no cancel option at all.
(A) 3s timer?
(B) Ok... 3s timer is short enough.

[This conversation is pure speculation from me.]

Tisaac

Post by Tisaac » 02 May 2021, 21:34

MoiMagnus wrote:
02 May 2021, 21:07
It feels like current situation is a compromise between two guys:
(A) The interface you code is annoying, there is no way to cancel taking tokens after selecting them.
(B) Yeah, but I've tried with a confirmation/cancel, and that's even more annoying to have to click on confirm every turn, and the confirm button is at the top of the screen while the tokens are at the middle, so I have to drag my mouse through the whole screen, etc. I significantly prefer it without a cancel option.
(A) Ok, so let's compromise, let's put a timer after your chose your three gems. So I am happy because I can cancel my actions, and you are happy because you don't need to click on confirm, it automatically does so.
(B) Fine, but only if the timer is short. If the timer is too long, I would still prefer to have no cancel option at all.
(A) 3s timer?
(B) Ok... 3s timer is short enough.

[This conversation is pure speculation from me.]
This conversation couldn't be more accurate, and that's why buttons with timers are used on several games now.
Finding the good timing is hard though, because you don't want to slow the lfow while still letting people being able to cancel in case of misclicks or big mistake. So, no matter what time you choose, there will always be people complaining. Giving the option to turn them off/on would be a good improvement though.

paramesis

Post by paramesis » 02 May 2021, 21:49

The problem is that this conversation is only between A and B, who are already familiar with the game and with BGA. Missing from this conversation is person C, who has never played the game before, or has never played on BGA before, who panics when they see that they only have 3 seconds to make a decision they don't fully understand yet, or person D, who knows the game well enough, but finds a secondary, very short timer in one small part of the interface flow annoying or anxiety-inducing, even if they are sure of what they want to do. I am closer to D, and personally find this compromise worse than either option championed by persons A and B, and I greatly appreciate when the option to turn it off is available.

lordalx

Post by lordalx » 03 May 2021, 05:29

I disagree on one point, you can always start over your coin sélection with the corresponding button on too of the screen, you so have far enough time in my opinion to thinks, select and cancel. The confirmation timer only come on the final chip sélection...

lordalx

Post by lordalx » 11 May 2021, 06:38

Hi, latest update allows you to remove thé timer through an option

Return to “Splendor”