Tobago end game is broken

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
demiurgsage

Tobago end game is broken

Post by demiurgsage »

The thing disappointing me in Tobago is the random in the end of the game. If the winner is decided by a coinflip the whole previous game become pointless. I mean the situation when you take several last cards (e.g. 4) and win if the curse in second half and lose if it's in the first half. It could be even worse when you lose only if the curse is on the top of several last cards. These cases are pretty common in Tobago, and they stop people from playing this game.
I suggest to create some rule option that significantly decrease end-game random. I understand that BGA policy is to implement the game as is, but I feel Tobago is broken and should be improved to make it more playable. For example rule can forbid the curse in the last 12 cards as it do so in the first cards.
suet63 fans club

Re: Tobago end game is broken

Post by suet63 fans club »

it is the luck part of the game, just like the one in sab1.. you could reduce it by counting how many golds your opponent have and count which gold card is not yet distributed

to lower the risk you can interrupt into opponent's treasure such that you almost rank 'one by one'. this increases your chance to win if you are ahead
demiurgsage

Post by demiurgsage »

The idea of the game is great but such random kill the game. If the result is finally determined by luck you can just throw a couple of dices instead the game. Good games usually shouldn't have such situations. It's just disrespect to the players. Where is fun if after 40 minutes of play the winner is determined by probabilities?
asd123321

Post by asd123321 »

The curse cards wreck the game about a third of the time and I think there should be an option to play with out them.
SunnyDelight

Post by SunnyDelight »

Please respect the original design of the game.

There are luck-based games and abstract games, for luck-based games like tobago you can try your best to reduce the luck factor by certain ways of playing.
Espina

Post by Espina »

SunnyDelight wrote:Please respect the original design of the game.

There are luck-based games and abstract games, for luck-based games like tobago you can try your best to reduce the luck factor by certain ways of playing.
+1
RallyAll

Post by RallyAll »

It's hardly a pure luck game. You can metigate the luck factor in this game.

Return to “Tobago”