Max Sabs option for Saboteur

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
Wreckage

Max Sabs option for Saboteur

Post by Wreckage »

I think an extremely popular option in saboteur would be "Maximum Saboteurs" button. So, in a 5 player game there would be exactly 3 diggers and 2 saboteurs...in a 7 player game there
would be exactly 4 diggers and 3 saboteurs.
Tottori_Torinosuke

Re: Max Sabs option for Saboteur

Post by Tottori_Torinosuke »

I agree with Wreckage and believe that this "max sabs" option should be seriously considered.
It is very difficult for sabs to win "1 sab vs 4 diggers" or "2 sabs vs 5 diggers" game, especially in experienced tables.
In addition to that, I think more than 3 golds should be given if 1 sab in 5 players game or 2 sabs in 7 players game won the round.
Wreckage

Post by Wreckage »

This is easy to implement. Just have the number of role cards match the number of players, instead of one additional role card as it is now.
Brisbane Roar

Post by Brisbane Roar »

I think it's a good idea. I'd also advocate splitting the gold evenly between diggers, not sure that can be done though...
CricketVT

Post by CricketVT »

Currently in a 7-player game the computer will randomly assign either 2 or 3 players as saboteurs. Some would argue that the advantage of not knowing whether there are 2 or 3 sabs is that the unpredictability adds some interest to the game--players have to deduce whether it's 2 or 3. To this point, in 2-sab games I've seen diggers going crazy breaking each other due to paranoia about a third sab. Also, saboteurs use this unpredictability as part of their strategy when aiming for a late reveal: "I'm not sab--it's a 2-sab game, not 3". So it does seem that randomizing 2 or 3 sabs has certain advantages for both player interest and strategy.

However, the flip side is that playing a 2-sab game with 7 players or a 1-sab game with 5 players is also extremely boring. It is exceptionally rare for sabs to win in this way, and there is a prevalent sense of resign, frustration, and unfairness. If a win happens it feels amazing, but mostly it's just a lot of sitting around broken, waiting for the misery to end.

Personally, I think an option to choose "max sabs" would be a great addition to the BGA version of Saboteur. It's the best of both worlds since players who believe the random option adds value to the game can still use it while those who think having the minimum number of sabs ruins the game can opt to make the playing field more even and fun for all.
joshjohnson

Post by joshjohnson »

Yep. The sages and yodas have spoken. BGA - bring on the MAX SABS option. It's time. We all know it.

With love,

Josh
eleyya

Post by eleyya »

Adding on the the option to choose Maximum number of sabs would be great as currently 5 diggers vs 2 saboteurs is pretty much a losing battle, even with all rockfalls.
Some people might argue that it takes out the fun of looking for the 3rd sab,however I believe most of saboteur players here on BGA enjoy 3v4 more and I am hoping that this option will be considered.
Caninski_Jen

Post by Caninski_Jen »

I agree .. there should be a max saboteur or else it ruins the fun of the game...I see it happens a lot 2vs5 lately and there is no chance in winning it :(
kicekjuve

Post by kicekjuve »

+1
Jesdebel

Post by Jesdebel »

I think Cricket worded it perfectly. I think that max sabs is a great idea. I recognize that there will be some disadvantages to knowing the exact number of diggers and saboteurs. But, with how often most of us have played, we recognize the saboteurs pretty quickly any way.
Additionally, I think that it should be our decision if we want to have the potentially negative result. Max sabs would also make it easier to play with less than 7 or more than 7 as we can ensure that the players are balanced.

Return to “Saboteur”