Removing "number of available players" number from lobby

What's new on BGA ?
sourisdudesert
Administrateur

Removing "number of available players" number from lobby

Post by sourisdudesert »

Today we removed "number of available players" information from the lobby.

When we introduced this functionality, our intention was to show that there were available online players for every different game, to encourage players to play the least played games.

At first it looks a good idea, but with the years is appears that the results are not so great.

Most of the times, the number of available for each game is huge. However, only a very few part of online players really want to participate to a given game, and even a fewer part wants to create a new table for it.

In addition, the resource cost of this function (and the associated "suggest this table to player X") is growing exponentially with the growing audience of BGA. Recently, it contributes to crash the service.

To conclude: with a big audience, this is way to costly and quite inefficient to display the exact number of players waiting for a game.

Spoiler alert: the situation is exactly the same for "suggest this table to player X" feature, so it is going to disappear some day or another.

Some more explanation on the general direction we are taking:

We introduced the "Simple mode" (or "Automatic lobby"). It allows you to automatically find opponents for a given game, and is way more efficient than the "available players" statistics we used to provide on the lobby (and the "suggest" feature).

In the near future, we will continue to upgrade the "Automatic lobby" (simple mode) to make it more efficient, and will also upgrade the "Manual lobby" (advanced mode) for those who want to keep 100% control on their tables.
souly4

Re: Removing "number of available players" number from lobby

Post by souly4 »

I first thought it was the well known bug that makes the numbers disappear at my login today.

It looks a bit naked to my eye now. Would it be doable to either narrow the distance of the buttons to the line that separates them from the game title, or to replace it with a different info like player count, or even your ranking in that game (in order to have a distinct info from the game page)?
sourisdudesert
Administrateur

Post by sourisdudesert »

souly4 wrote: 15 August 2019, 18:08 It looks a bit naked to my eye now.
I totally agree.

It's going to stay like this for few weeks only. There is an upcoming update that is going to make the Manual lobby looks much nice (it's going to look pretty much like the Automatic lobby).
Romain672

Post by Romain672 »

Is it possible to add an option for sending some 'suggest' to all person connected in the list of our friends/all person on a group/all person on top20 or 50?
It would be still less good than actually but I think it could have some good uses.
AndreRhineDavis

Post by AndreRhineDavis »

The main issue I have with this is with games like Machiavelli (which I play a lot) where there are so few people on here that play.
(I wish there were far more, but the game is unfortunately named. If people knew it was basically the same as Rummy or Rummikub, they'd be like "I know that game!", but they see "Machiavelli" and think "I have no idea what that is")
If I see that there are 15 available players, then I know I have a good chance of finding someone, so I'll start a game.
If I see that there are 2 available players, then I don't bother starting a game because I know nobody will join.
Similarly, once I start a game, the best way for me to get people's attention is to invite them, because otherwise I'll have to wait around for over 10 minutes with nobody joining.
gnocchi donkey

Post by gnocchi donkey »

I am with Andre on this. Another point is where you are sitting waiting for more at a table you can see if a load of people came available for a game you rather play. Especially with some of the not as popular light games as PI or buttons they really seem to flex. I for one am not happy with this change, but would be good it others names would disappear once they leave.. that was one problem "this player is no longer online"
Gooorn

Post by Gooorn »

I think "number of available players" info is raising the number of succesfully filled tables not lowering.
schoolio

Post by schoolio »

Please bring back the feature that tells how many people are available to play a specific game. This feature is really useful. For example, I mainly play Hanabi, and if there are a lot of people at my level I will request a 3 or 4 person game. However, if there are few players I will settle for a 2 player game. Since this feature has been taken away, I feel I might often be wasting time waiting for more players when there are none. This is truly a needed feature. Thanks.
sourisdudesert
Administrateur

Post by sourisdudesert »

Dear all,

As explained in the first post, the number of available players has been replaced in the new lobby by the number of available tables.

Displaying the exact number of available tables is way more accurate and efficient than the "number of available players" which was actually not very good.

The former "available players" included all online players with this game in their favorites, whether they were in the lobby or not, whether they really wanted to play this game now or not. Instead of that, displaying "X available tables" for a game means that the tables are really available, and that you can play NOW. This is way more efficient.

In addition, in the new lobby, you can create and join multiple realtime tables in the lobby. So if you really want to play game A, or game B, or game C, you can create / join tables with these 3 games, and everyone will be warned that you are available to play.

As this subject is closely linked to this topic, I'm closing it to avoid multiple discussions at different place on the same subject.

Return to “BGA release notes”