A new lobby for BGA

What's new on BGA ?
firexed

Re: A new lobby for BGA

Post by firexed »

LordChambers wrote: 15 September 2019, 05:45
bpedit wrote: 12 September 2019, 18:11 :? How do you now find active games to spectate?
I wonder this too, but couldn't go through enough pages of the thread to learn if it was addressed.
The link is still there - https://boardgamearena.com/gameinprogress , however it can't be accessed from the lobby, which is most inconvenient, it should be put back in the drop-down list.
Evreka

Post by Evreka »

I use the Manual setting. I very much like that each game has an "area" of its own for boards to appear in so you don't accidentally click some other game than you intended. I also appreciate the handy see all open tables link (of your favourites). :)

However, I would love to be able to hide some open game tables from view. For example, say that I want to play 7 Wonders. There is a table I can join, but it's headed by someone who isn't online and the game has been around for 20 minutes. Not because no one wants to play, but because the creator is not there. Or the open game is created by someone with a terrible leave reputation (or whatever) and you really don't want to join that particular table for some other reason. It would be neat to just be able to hide it and still see all the rest.

Also, is there an easy way to see tables of games you've so far never played before? When I joined I wanted to play 7 Wonders, period. But OK, I could play some else I'd played in real life too... Now I've found new favourites that I haven't played in reality yet, and that's because they were visible before. Can I still choose to see boards beyond my favourites?
Darnoc

Post by Darnoc »

I do not see how to (carefully) create turn-based tables.

Are all the features gone? Or I am just unable to find them?

Every time I create a turn-based table I carefully decide many things:

Who to invite. Game speed. ELO. Number of players. And all the other options.

There must be a way, right? Help me please:

How do I get to the screen that lets me set all the options, and uses my last choices as the default?

For now I am not creating games. Any help would be appreciated.
Quax

Post by Quax »

Some general input regarding the lobby:

-There seems in fact just "favorite games" and "all others". So, my favorite games are indeed my known games I'm generally willing to play, regardless how much I like them. It would great to split games in "favorites" and "known" (and the rest that is not displayed.

-The possibilty to sort games by popularity is great; unfortunatly popularity is taken in some way from the whole data base and does not reflect personal preferences. Would be great to adapt that in some way (no I use as a kind-of the last played games).

- In the playability there is sometimes a big difference in turn-based and live. Usually I play turn based, but some games (i.e. Werewolves or Love Letter) are in my opinion only in live games good playable and vice versa. I.e. I would collect in live games such as the a.m. and Colt express, but would never play "hard" Eurogames because I prefer time to think.

- I'm not a favorite of online 2-Person-Plays. So it would be great, if I could make some global choices, that prevents me from displaying 2P-Games. The same could be true for specific game modes and so on.

So, I was never very comfortable with the old lobby and think the new one is a real good step forward, but there are still things to improve.

Thanks!
Quamino
Data99

Post by Data99 »

Ich muss mich erst dran gewöhnen. Ich fand es vorher übersichtlicher.
asd123321

Post by asd123321 »

To find active games
click on GAMES at top
select a game
click games in progress

https://boardgamearena.com/gameinprogress?game=1118&all
vichy

Post by vichy »

firexed wrote: 15 September 2019, 08:54
LordChambers wrote: 15 September 2019, 05:45
bpedit wrote: 12 September 2019, 18:11 :? How do you now find active games to spectate?
I wonder this too, but couldn't go through enough pages of the thread to learn if it was addressed.
The link is still there - https://boardgamearena.com/gameinprogress , however it can't be accessed from the lobby, which is most inconvenient, it should be put back in the drop-down list.
sourisdudesert
Administrateur

Post by sourisdudesert »

UPDATE:

Following your feedback, "available players for this game" and "suggestions" are back.

Some words about this rollback:

Removing suggestions and "available players" was not the main subject of the "new lobby" update. We removed this because we think that it was way more useful to focus on creating/joining more table than suggesting your table. We also identified that it was not very efficient.

However, after the removal, your feedback brings 2 interesting points:
_ If you want to play a very specific game, and only this one, you don't want to create another table.
_ A lot of you complained about waiting more on tables, while on in our statistics we found that it was not the case. It appears that the available players list + suggestion system ... makes you more patient. I know this is strange (and definitely makes me think to the classical Mirrors & elevators story), but it seems real.

Thanks again for those who are explaining their situation and use case in details, so we can understand them and give the appropriate response.
CG9000

Post by CG9000 »

Yeah, this new lobby seems to make it harder for me to find a game, I'm finding it's a lot slower to have people jumping into my game and can't request anyone either. I would love a way to go back to the old view.
marilyn monroe

Post by marilyn monroe »

I prefer the old layout. I don't like that you can not remove the games you play. Can not invite players. Can not see games that are in play. You've made all these changes that are not beneficial for us users in my opnion. Bring back old layout!!!!!!

Return to “BGA release notes”