Friend only mode + Step by step menu on lobby page

What's new on BGA ?
quietmint

Re: Friend only mode + Step by step menu on lobby page

Post by quietmint »

Also, remember the game page is the landing spot from Google. If I Google "play Coup online" the BGA game page is result #1. When I go there and can't actually start playing, it feels like a scam.
Leonardd

Post by Leonardd »

These are absolutely great!
(- Your table is limited to your friends. Ie: even if one of your friend refuses to play, another player cannot take its seat.
- Default is training mode, so this way you have no penalties and no time limit when playing with friends.)

Thanks so much
Remi_remix

Post by Remi_remix »

Heelo,

I don't know if it is linked with these evolutons.
But since few days when i want to play a game, i click on it. It goes to the game page where the CallToAction button has changed : it is now "Add/Remove from Favorite Games" (whereas it was "Play" before).

The problem is there is no way to start the game from the game page : No "Play" button.
The only way I have seen is to remove the game from favorites, then to add it to favorites with the same CallToAction button. Then a pop-in is shortly displayed with a "Play" button.

I suggest to have 2 CallToAction button in the game pages (one next to the other one) :
- Play button
- Add/Remove from favorites

Example of game page : https://boardgamearena.com/gamepanel?game=saintpoker
Red Nebula

Post by Red Nebula »

Remi_remix wrote: 30 April 2020, 18:35 But since few days when i want to play a game, i click on it. It goes to the game page where the CallToAction button has changed : it is now "Add/Remove from Favorite Games" (whereas it was "Play" before).
sourisdudesert replied to your question in this same forum thread:
sourisdudesert wrote: 27 April 2020, 08:47 The purpose of the page "Games" is to find a game you want to play, and add it to your favorite. After that, you can play it from the "Play" section.

Having a "play" button on game pages was confusing, as you couldn't know what was going to happen (realtime? turnbased? arena? with friends?).
Edit: there is also a report with your same suggestion you can vote -> https://boardgamearena.com/bug?id=16272
Wreckage

Post by Wreckage »

Until recently we could leave our table settings on "my friends" and each new table created would remember your settings from your last game. This was so pleasant. That way no unknown players could join in, and I could still see other players online and invite them if I chose to. This was also nice to have it set on any group.

Now that your previous group settings are always forgotten is less fun.
Paul_Chelsfield

Post by Paul_Chelsfield »

After being annoyed by this a lot I took a quick look at the code and the button is still there, just hidden... It can be re-enabled using a tiny bit of custom CSS code:

Code: Select all

#gamepanel-module #create_new_table {
    display: block !important;
}
Or if you would like to be a Guinea pig for a lot of my CSS tinkering... https://github.com/paul-norman/bga-css (can't promise that everything will work, just improving as I find issues).
Cullich

Post by Cullich »

sourisdudesert wrote: 27 April 2020, 08:47 Having a "play" button on game pages was confusing, as you couldn't know what was going to happen (realtime? turnbased? arena? with friends?).
Not sure how you came to this conclusion. The way it is now (using the "friend mode") is not only confusing to me even though I know how to make invitations, but also confusing to other members of my group as we have been playing online the last couple of months.

It's confusing to me, mostly because you keep changing how things are done. I keep telling people how to do things, but it doesn't work cause something is different, again.

My friends keep starting games in friend mode, then complain they can't change settings, and we have to start all over again. But when I say don't use the friend mode, they don't know how to start a game, because they all expect a "play" button on the game page. That's what a lot of people seem to expect.

As to having a button on the game page being confusing, that's nonsense. Once you have the table up, you can choose things like real time vs turn based, etc. I have never found it confusing to do it that way. And you can still pick from your list of friends from there. It's far, far, far more confusing to figure out how to make an invitation that's not in your favorites, without being in friends mode. Yes, you can tell everyone not to accept the invite yet until all settings are done, but they forget and we go through this every two weeks and people forget.

So this isn't easier for newer people either. In fact, it's more confusing for them, because at least I have some idea of what maybe needs done and can guess better.
TWW

Post by TWW »

Cullich wrote: 17 June 2020, 04:56So this isn't easier for newer people either. In fact, it's more confusing for them, because at least I have some idea of what maybe needs done and can guess better.
As a newbie I can only agree. It seems so obvious that, once you've put in what sort of game you're searching for and narrowed it down to a choice, you should then be able to say "Yes, I like the look of this, let's play it" right there and then.

But, now I know for the future.

Return to “BGA release notes”