balance dice rolls

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Ch_Ch_

balance dice rolls

Post by Ch_Ch_ »

It seems that the generator of random (cubes) numbers gives not entirely random values
1. it seems that triggers of the arrival of the bandits (7) when someone has more than 7 cards (especially at the end of the game) are almost certainly 7 - in almost every game.
2. If most of the numbers are covered in the settlement setting, then, artificially adjust the balance for players with weaker strategic placement.
For example: 3 4 5 6 8 11 - what is the most common 9 ???
It was clearly expressed I had so in 2 of the games 8 (more precisely in 2 games I noticed it very well)

Maybe it’s a coincidence and I’m wrong, but it was too much (especially with knights) for the games I played (8)
Artificially twisted dice to make the game more interesting # spoils the game !! = It kills all the strategy in the game, and spoils the experience and fun of the game

p.s. Sorry if I’m wrong .
And in general, the Game is very much liked and the developers WELL !!
Thank you very much for the opportunity to play it !!
Stroom

Re: balance dice rolls

Post by Stroom »

This is definitely confirmation bias. Catan has always been very reliant on dice rolls.
nicotacotac

Post by nicotacotac »

I didn't check the code but I'm pretty sure that no such artificial change of dice roll has been made. Randomness it a very discussed topic on bga and developers (including me), follow strict rules when dealing with that.

As stated before confirmation bias has a lot to do, and if you have doubt, dice results of a game are available at the end of game. It is not necessarily perfectly distributed on a single game but should on a larger set. You can check yourself easily :)
RobertBr

Post by RobertBr »

Ch_Ch_ wrote: 17 June 2022, 14:28 It seems that the generator of random (cubes) numbers gives not entirely random values

p.s. Sorry if I’m wrong .
Apology accepted. Please try to avoid posting this sort of thing, it can only serve to encourage conspiracy theorists, diminish players enjoyment of the game, and make it harder to get genuine problems heard. *All* of the games on BGA use the same basic function, a built in part of the coding language to generate random numbers. No designer has ever deliberately coded in a modifier to punish certain players, what possible reason could they have for doing so? And think about how easily it would be caught!

If results do not seem random to you then it will be because you have an inadequate understanding of how random results work - far better to come to the forums and ask for help.
TheGameMaster

Post by TheGameMaster »

There is no doubt that the rolls on BGA are rigged toward those that subscribe to BGA. The rolls are NOT random, as they are suppose to be. Catan is a perfect example of that. I have played several Catan games and the rolls are obviously rigged; and I am not the only one who thinks so. I don't know if there is a option to play Catan with the CARD deck instead of dice rolls, which is suppose to give the correct distribution of out comes for the 36 possible roll outcomes. Although, even then I doubt that it will be truly correct. I played on another site that had that option for Catan, and it was NOT the correct distribution. Which only goes to show that these online sites are rigged toward subscribers.
sorryimlikethis

Post by sorryimlikethis »

TheGameMaster wrote: 27 June 2022, 05:25 There is no doubt that the rolls on BGA are rigged toward those that subscribe to BGA. The rolls are NOT random, as they are suppose to be. Catan is a perfect example of that. I have played several Catan games and the rolls are obviously rigged; and I am not the only one who thinks so. I don't know if there is a option to play Catan with the CARD deck instead of dice rolls, which is suppose to give the correct distribution of out comes for the 36 possible roll outcomes. Although, even then I doubt that it will be truly correct. I played on another site that had that option for Catan, and it was NOT the correct distribution. Which only goes to show that these online sites are rigged toward subscribers.
That's a pretty insane take - wouldn't they prefer it the other way? You have your non-paying members win so they continue to play with the possibility of paying in the future?

Also, how would you even go about this? What if you share all the same tiles with a non-paying member? Does it cause a paradox where no numbers roll?
tchobello

Post by tchobello »

don't waste your time with people with less than 3 messages at all... feeding trolls.
DaMom65

Post by DaMom65 »

i am a paying member and while i have not played catan yet i have played other dice rolling games and i do have to say that the FEEL of the rolls feel off. i am not saying they are rigged and i am not saying they are not. what i am saying is that maybe BGA needs to look at the whatever code system they use for their random generator for the dice rolls and maybe put in a different one. since this IS an issue..a larger issue than is expressed here in the forum, i know ALOT of members (free and premium) that have verbally complained about this problem. some have left this website because of this issue among other things in their opinion. i also know there are alot of random number generators too. so if ppl are having an issue with this one then swap it out for different one. make a big deal out of it...put it in the news! like ...HEY!! YOU SPOKE AND WE LISTENED AND ITS HERE!! WE HAVE REPLACE THE OLD RANDOM NUMBER GENERATORS WITH A BRAND NEW SYSTEM GUARANTEED TO BE EVEN MORE RANDOM!! DONT SAY WE NEVER DO NOTHING FOR YA!! Oor something like that..lol make all the haters shut up!! :lol: :D :lol: :roll: :roll:
Jellby

Post by Jellby »

Random is random, there's no way you can get a "better" random.

There are of course flawed random number generators (RNG), but their flaws consist in predictable (or at least biased) sequences. Definitely not in favouring premium members, or the leading player, or anything game-dependent. I doubt very much BGA is using any RNG that's known to be flawed.
MWald

I agree.

Post by MWald »

DaMom65 wrote: 28 June 2022, 03:09 i am a paying member and while i have not played catan yet i have played other dice rolling games and i do have to say that the FEEL of the rolls feel off. i am not saying they are rigged and i am not saying they are not. what i am saying is that maybe BGA needs to look at the whatever code system they use for their random generator for the dice rolls and maybe put in a different one. since this IS an issue..a larger issue than is expressed here in the forum, i know ALOT of members (free and premium) that have verbally complained about this problem. some have left this website because of this issue among other things in their opinion. i also know there are alot of random number generators too. so if ppl are having an issue with this one then swap it out for different one. make a big deal out of it...put it in the news! like ...HEY!! YOU SPOKE AND WE LISTENED AND ITS HERE!! WE HAVE REPLACE THE OLD RANDOM NUMBER GENERATORS WITH A BRAND NEW SYSTEM GUARANTEED TO BE EVEN MORE RANDOM!! DONT SAY WE NEVER DO NOTHING FOR YA!! Oor something like that..lol make all the haters shut up!! :lol: :D :lol: :roll: :roll:

Return to “Catan”