3 or 4 players

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
Bluewolf

3 or 4 players

Post by Bluewolf »

Does no one this site enjoy playing this game with more than just two? :shock:
I have been able to play a match with 4 players only a hand full of times and found it interesting and fun keeping track of the variables & players waiting each other out. But have only played a full game a hand full of times.
..And it has been over a year since the last time i did..

Perhaps i am not purest enough :mrgreen:
RicardoRix

Re: 3 or 4 players

Post by RicardoRix »

I can't quite see the point of it tbh, you'll have to enlighten us ;) If it's a bit like 4 player chess then that is a horrible game, it just doesn't work.

I could see a 2v2 working, without communication.
Jest Phulin

Post by Jest Phulin »

4 player is quite interesting, but does have the problem of trying to find enough players who commit to the end. With only half the fences available per person, those become an extremely valuable resource.

As far as 3 player goes... technically, that should not be an option on this site. The game is a 2 OR 4 player game, not a 2 to 4 player game.
CraWleR

Post by CraWleR »

The game actually doesn't even allow you to play with 3 players:

Code: Select all

'players' => array( 2,4 ),
(this essentially says that the game is only for 2 or 4 players).

However, the UI allows creating tables for 3 players. The problem is, however, that once the 3rd player tries to join for the game to start - he gets an error. Not a very user intuitive way of dealing with this and I think this would require changing the core code. For 3 players - a bug should be created. Not sure whether there already is. Looking through the bugs quickly - it hasn't been reported yet.

Update: sent a JavaScript bug fix for the 3 players issue to the admins. Would still require a PHP fix as well, but JavaScript should cover most of the use cases for now.
Jest Phulin

Post by Jest Phulin »

The one bit of advice I can give for getting a 4-player to completion is to eliminate beginners from joining. On a turn-based, 1 move per day game, it could be 3 days between turns. Beginners may not have the patience to stay for that, but apprentices tend to.

Return to “Quoridor”