Must always play furthest possible checker in my home?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
OutOfHabit

Must always play furthest possible checker in my home?

Post by OutOfHabit » 24 April 2021, 19:18

I had checkers on several of the points in my home area (and no checkers outside of my home area)
I rolled a 5
I had 2 checkers on the point that would be scored by exact count, but did not want to leave the point with a single checker on it, open to capture.

As such, i tried moving a checker from the each of the 2 points closest to the exit, but neither were allowed.

I have seen this a few times now. Is this a rule? It doesn’t mention it in the rules section (and i didn’t see it when skimming another rules page elsewhere.) Maybe it is a bug?

(In the end, i ended up needing to score the checker using exact count, and my opponent was able the capture the remaining one on the next turn.)

euklid314

Re: Must always play furthest possible checker in my home?

Post by euklid314 » 26 April 2021, 20:13

In bearoff (when all checkers are in your house) you can use a 5 in three ways:

×) Move a checker from the 6point to the 1point (6-1)
×) Move a checker from the 5point off the board (5-off)
×) if 6point and 5point are already empty: Move one of your highest checkers off the board (e.g. 4-off)

If the first options are both available you can freely choose between them. But note: You alway have to use both of your dice, if possible.

euklid314

Re: Must always play furthest possible checker in my home?

Post by euklid314 » 26 April 2021, 20:15

In other words: if you still have checkers on the 6 or 5-point you cannot use a 5 to bear off a checker from the 4- to 1-point. These are official rules.

Return to “Backgammon”