New Tournament Game Length Proposal "Match-Based"

Tournaments organization / Organisation des tournois
EllieK

New Tournament Game Length Proposal "Match-Based"

Post by EllieK »

Think of it like this -- turned based tournaments where a turn is not a "game-turn" but instead an entire game. One game, played real-time, counts as one turn...

I would like to propose a Match-Based tournament mode, meaning that once a match has begun it is played out in real-time. When creating the tournament you could set a window (12:00 - 14:00 UT for example) meaning that during that time you would have to start a scheduled match. And I think you would also have a match/day setting too. Where 1 would mean one match everyday at 12:00 - 14:00 and .5 would mean one match every other day during the time window. I don't know what 2 would mean -- :D

I used to love the old real time tournaments and many of them seem to have disappeared with the expansion of the tournament system. I sometimes feel that during a turn-based tournament, especially when you're playing games with long durations such as Through the Ages or Keyflower, other players are gaming the time system.

Just an idea. It would better represent the way I like to play games.

Thanks!
Last edited by EllieK on 06 November 2016, 14:46, edited 1 time in total.
Oso

Re: New Tournament Game Length Proposal "Match-Based"

Post by Oso »

EllieK wrote:I would like to propose a Match-Based tournament mode, meaning that once a match has begun it is played out in real-time. When creating the tournament you could set a window (12:00 - 14:00 UT for example) meaning that during that time you would have to start a scheduled match. And I think you would also have a match/day setting too. Where 1 would mean one match everyday at 12:00 - 14:00 and .5 would mean one match every other day during the time window. I don't know what 2 would mean -- :D

I used to love the old real time tournaments and many of them seem to have disappeared with the expansion of the tournament system. I sometimes feel that during a turn-based tournament, especially when you're playing games with long durations such as Through the Ages or Keyflower, other players are gaming the time system.

Thanks!
You can set time-start of matches. But if you do it you get finish the previous match.
Willie333b

Post by Willie333b »

Can be set.
EllieK

Post by EllieK »

333-blue wrote:Can be set.
Can't be set.
Last edited by EllieK on 06 November 2016, 14:38, edited 1 time in total.
Noobslayer420

Post by Noobslayer420 »

I agree completely with the notion that people are gaming the time system. I have not been able to finish a single round of tourney play on Through The Ages because of a "time suck" strategy that every opponent is using. I play moves every day and many times multiple moves a day but my time always ends up in the negative. I am a super fast player in real time, I don't know how this keeps happening but it has made tourneys in TTA unfair, pointless, and unplayable.
EllieK

Post by EllieK »

Oso wrote:
EllieK wrote:I would like to propose a Match-Based tournament mode, meaning that once a match has begun it is played out in real-time. When creating the tournament you could set a window (12:00 - 14:00 UT for example) meaning that during that time you would have to start a scheduled match. And I think you would also have a match/day setting too. Where 1 would mean one match everyday at 12:00 - 14:00 and .5 would mean one match every other day during the time window. I don't know what 2 would mean -- :D

Thanks!
You can set time-start of matches. But if you do it you get finish the previous match.
I'm not talking about a real-time tournament. I want turned based tournaments where a turn is not a "game-turn" but instead an entire game. One game, played real-time, counts as one turn.
sprockitz

Post by sprockitz »

EllieK wrote:
Oso wrote:

Thanks!
I'm not talking about a real-time tournament. I want turned based tournaments where a turn is not a "game-turn" but instead an entire game. One game, played real-time, counts as one turn.
In the real-time tournament system you can set the match date and time for each game. So you can have game 1 Sunday at 1pm, game 2 Monday at 1pm...etc. This is effectively what you desire, though the match window would not be 2 hours to start a game and you'd both need to be on (within 5 minutes) of the start time...but that is almost needed since you don't want 2 people who want to play in a 2 hour window but 1 can only play at the beginning and the other at the end of it.
EllieK

Post by EllieK »

sprockitz wrote:
EllieK wrote:
Oso wrote:
In the real-time tournament system you can set the match date and time for each game. So you can have game 1 Sunday at 1pm, game 2 Monday at 1pm...etc. This is effectively what you desire, though the match window would not be 2 hours to start a game and you'd both need to be on (within 5 minutes) of the start time...but that is almost needed since you don't want 2 people who want to play in a 2 hour window but 1 can only play at the beginning and the other at the end of it.
Fantastic! Thanks for explaining, sprockitz!

Return to “Tournaments / Les tournois”