3+ player matches?

Tournaments organization / Organisation des tournois
Izor Oak

3+ player matches?

Post by Izor Oak »

Are we only able to compete in 1v1 tournaments? We should really be able to have 3+ player matches in tournaments.
Jest Phulin

Re: 3+ player matches?

Post by Jest Phulin »

As far as I recall, this was something that "was going to be in the works" when they rolled out tournaments initially. It's been in the works for a while...
sourisdudesert
Administrateur

Post by sourisdudesert »

Yes.

This is a complex subject. Actually we did many things for the tournaments on BGA (including allowing the community to create tournaments, new tournament style, tournament tabs, ...) because we think the investment was smaller with a good benefit for the community. So yes we gave this a lower priority considering the investment cost.
iamsum1gr8

Post by iamsum1gr8 »

Added to this, "pairings" for events with more than 2 people at a table are very complicated. A modified swiss is possible if you allocate points based on placing (5-3-2-1 being my preferred because it emphasises winning more). But you also have the added complication that the more players in a game the longer the games take to play. and what do you do if you don't get a multiple of 4 players etc.
turtler7

Post by turtler7 »

The pairings for 3+ player matches can be quite complicated. If the developers would like suggestions, I have a bunch of friends who share my love for math and can probably provide most or all of the pairing algorithms. Had a lot of fun putting together the matchups for a 4 player series in another game recently. There is a lot of work to solve the number of variables for these kind of tournaments to minimize or eliminate bye rounds or matching against the same opponents when there can be any number of players registered. One solution to the extremely variable complexity is to setup a gated entry system so that the system only accepts the first stable bracket count of players. For example, a round robin for 4 player matches is stable with 4 players and then again in 13 players (I will double check the math but I think every 3rd from then on is stable, i.e. 16, 19, 22). The first 4 registered players would be fully entered, the next 8 would be "on deck" to be fully entered when a 9th puts the total to 13 registers. And then others joining are in limbo till the next stable number is reached. Every 3 players increases the number of matches each player plays by 1. 4 players are a single game tournament. 13 players are 4 matches for each player. Etc.
ollyfish2002

Post by ollyfish2002 »

Very good proposal.
You mean that we would set the number of games, not the number of players; this will need to inform players that they are on the waiting list for tournament X and later that they are in or out at start of the tournament.
So, the important point is the values for computing number of players per games, number of matches and pairing.
Who can implement that?
Lagosuchus

Post by Lagosuchus »

Oh please yes! I've just been thinking this right now. I would want to play 6 Nimmt! tournaments with more than two players. That's something really sad and horribly boring for that game. I think I played like 2 tournament like that and I didn't want to repeat the experience. It would be great if you finally get to do this, even if you only put one match. 10 players playing at the same time on a tourney would be simply epic.
JCase16

Post by JCase16 »

I posted this elsewhere also.
I am not a current paying customer. If I could get tournaments to be built out with more than 2 players in a game, more love to the descriptions of the types when setting up or signing up, better searching options when looking for tournaments, etc then I would pay for that. I would sign up for a membership in a heartbeat or even be willing to fund a "kickstarter" of sorts to say if we raised this much money then you would throw your efforts behind it. I think a really well thought out tournament system would bring more paid memberships than just about anything else. You could build out what is there and put the suggestions you have seen in it. Then you could go further and allow for tournaments that actually have rewards that come from signup fees for tournaments and you could take a cut from it. It's a possible revenue stream for BGA if you have the right game(s) that would cause people to join and care that much. Just a thought. My personal opinion is that I like tournament win swag (like badges on my account) better than I do ELO. I would love to see top ELO for each game and top tournament players for each game too. Just total 1st, 2nd, 3rd badges or something...
fa81

Post by fa81 »

Any progress on this feature?
JCase16

Post by JCase16 »

My understanding is it is no where near complete. I recently recommended that they crowd fund for this. I bet lots of us would be willing to put money down to have the features built. I'm a subscriber but I would be willing to pay much more for this. It would make BGA so much better to have a true tournament system. Een has discussed this though. It's a very complicated piece of code.

Return to “Tournaments / Les tournois”