Round Robin Tournaments -- request for feature

Tournaments organization / Organisation des tournois
Espina

Round Robin Tournaments -- request for feature

Post by Espina »

Hi,

I would like the ability to create and play in Round Robin Tournaments where the play is sequential or can be limited to two or three parallel games. Basically, I like to have everyone play everyone else, but I don't like the fact that one gets dumped into all the games at once.

So why not just create a Swiss System tournament with as many games as players, you may be wondering. A few reasons:
1. Because of the Swiss system rules which determine who you play with on rounds after the first one, after a game, one has to wait until *all* the games have ended before anyone can proceed to the next round, instead of being matched up with the next available player that one has not already played with.

2. Again, the Swiss system rules are not very transparent to me, but I recently encountered the situation where a certain number of games were planned, but the tournament ended in fewer games, ostensibly because the system had already determined the winners. So everyone did not play everyone else.

3. You certainly cannot set up Swiss system with (a small number of) parallel games

So, if one of you kindly souls maintaining this site had the time to implement something like this, I for one would greatly appreciate it. :)
(And if not, I greatly appreciate your maintaining the site anyway. :) )
Akudiso

Re: Round Robin Tournaments -- request for feature

Post by Akudiso »

Me too
RicardoRix

Post by RicardoRix »

The very easy version of this could be to simply stagger the dates by a certain amount.
So if a game is likely to take 5 days, you could add a new game every 1 or 2 days.
So a 1 day would make roughly 5 concurrent games at any given time.

The other easy option could be to make a set size, say 5 games. So as soon as 1 of the 5 games finish another one starts.

I must admit there was a 15 game round robin game that I was put off by simply because it seemed like a bit too much.
twistytroll

Post by twistytroll »

Round Robin Tournaments give full flexibility - in principle -
since rounds may overlap in time.

The trouble is: there is a BUG BUG BUG BUG BUG BUG BUG BUG BUG BUG BUG BUG BUG BUG BUG BUG BUG !!!

Please VOTE for the bug to get it fixed:
https://en.boardgamearena.com/#!bug?id=8591

Return to “Tournaments / Les tournois”