Swiss tournament setup problem.

Tournaments organization / Organisation des tournois
RicardoRix

Swiss tournament setup problem.

Post by RicardoRix »

Hi.

I have recently setup (with a mistake) and now started (yesterday) a 10 round swiss tournament. (Hawaii)

https://en.boardgamearena.com/#!tournament?id=11770

I made a mistake in the setup. I thought each game would be played concurrently (at the same time), instead each round is played so that the next round won't start until the previous one has finished. This is likely to take perhaps a full year to complete.

Is it possible to change the current tournament settings? (and start all the games together)

Or if not, then to cancel the current tournament and I will setup a new tournament and contact all the participants.

Regards.
Espina

Re: Swiss tournament setup problem.

Post by Espina »

Swiss tournaments are, by their nature not concurrent, because after the first game, each player's next opponent is determined by the scores so far (winners play winners).

If you want concurrent games, you should set up a round robin. Not sure what you can do about the fact that your tournament has already started. Maybe the admins can help.
Espina

Post by Espina »

Incidentally, 10 rounds at 7 days a game is 2.5 months. Not anywhere near a year :)

So maybe it is not so bad?
metzgerism

Post by metzgerism »

Not sure if you can change it now, but I've run similar tournaments like this and found that playing an even number of games (usually 2 or 4) concurrently fixes this issue - everyone gets the same number of games, there are no byes, and you actually have a larger number of matches to get results from.
Espina

Post by Espina »

metzgerism wrote:Not sure if you can change it now, but I've run similar tournaments like this and found that playing an even number of games (usually 2 or 4) concurrently fixes this issue - everyone gets the same number of games, there are no byes, and you actually have a larger number of matches to get results from.
How do you set up a tournament to play an even number of games concurrently? I thought you could do Swiss (one at a time) or round robin (all in parallel). Is there something else (other than single elimination which is of course not relevant)

Return to “Tournaments / Les tournois”