Swiss Tournament Bye sets Opponents average Elo to 0

Tournaments organization / Organisation des tournois
evilmonkeycma

Swiss Tournament Bye sets Opponents average Elo to 0

Post by evilmonkeycma »

Hi,
I logged this as a bug, but I think it will get more attention here. When playing a Swiss tournament recently with an odd number of people, every round someone got a bye. That person has their opponents average ELO set to 0, no matter how many other games they play - so they always lose the second tiebreaker. This seems like aberrant behavior.
dudi2

Re: Swiss Tournament Bye sets Opponents average Elo to 0

Post by dudi2 »

ckwatt

Post by ckwatt »

I've noticed this problem too. I wonder why the developers couldn't reproduce it. They would just need to take part in a couple of tournaments. ;)
kingneal

Post by kingneal »

I personally don't even see this as a problem. A bye gets you a win so it ties you with someone that won a game. If 2 people are tied and 1 played their games out and 1 had a bye then the one that played every game and earned their wins instead of having 1 of them by the luck of the draw should win the tiebreaker.
ckwatt

Post by ckwatt »

kingneal wrote:I personally don't even see this as a problem. A bye gets you a win so it ties you with someone that won a game. If 2 people are tied and 1 played their games out and 1 had a bye then the one that played every game and earned their wins instead of having 1 of them by the luck of the draw should win the tiebreaker.
Come to think of it, you are absolutely right, Kingneal. It is actually a clever feature, if it was indeed meant that way. There should be a manual to explain how the tournaments work in general.

Return to “Tournaments / Les tournois”