More varied tournaments

Tournaments organization / Organisation des tournois
Estemy

More varied tournaments

Post by Estemy »

So as a new player I am just getting into tournaments. However, looking at my options I see no tournaments for most games that I like or am good at. There are many tournaments for carcasonne (love but play poorly), seasons (hate it) and stone age (like it, but im not any good at it). However, there are more than 100 games on this site so how can it be that there are no tournaments for most of them?
At first I thought players were just lazy and I had to create my own. So said, so done and I created a Machiavelli tournament (https://nl.boardgamearena.com/#!tournament?id=18021). I asked all my friends to join and every time i play a game i ask the people to join. All is going good and I expect to have a small tournament in the end of the month.

Since that went well I decided to create more tourneys and experiment a little with the options (some of which are still very confusing, because there is no explanation as to what round robin system means (and swiss I get a little, but not really sure). I've googled and searched and found nothing concrete. There should really be more info available when you are creating a tournament. Atm I feel like I'm moving around blindly and I already noticed that due to poor translation I filled in one of the fields wrong. Namely, I thought one field asked in how many days I plan to hold the tournament, but now i'm, by accident, closing the tournament registration 3 weeks too early. Still not too sure what that field means, but in dutch (and that's my site) you could understand it in 2 ways. Not even sure if people can register now (and i cant change it back since people have already joined). I tried making another tourney but entering 0 to that field (have the registration open until start) was also not allowed.
Please explain creating tournaments better on the website or in the FAQ section of the forum. Please allow people to correct their mistakes after they created a tournament and people have already joined.

In any case, my second tournament was going to be for incan gold. A very popular game, but there were no tourneys for it. Well I sure know now why, because it's impossible to create a tournament for a 3 player game. Even though you could play it with 2 as a competition. So that was my first FAIL.
Please add multiplayer matches to tournaments. It would add so much new options! Lots of people have asked for this already, so I know I'm not the only one who would love this.

Then I wanted to host a tournament for Palaces of Carrara. I'm not too good at it yet, but I thought why not pump up the popularity a little, right? Wrong, you cannot open a tournament for that game either since the game cannot find its name in the database. That game no longer exists on BGA. Even though I have 2 turn based games rolling, it simply does not exist. FAIL 2. Please add Carrara back to the games list, it's a great strategic game!

These are just my 3 suggestions for making BGA better. My opinions are my own and I understand that some of them require quite some programming work. Perhaps it would be a nice option just to add 3-5 player matches in the single elimination option, since that's the easiest to understand. I hope my suggestions will be heard and/or discussed. Thank you BGA for great service and lots of fun so far!
Lotus Blossom

Re: More varied tournaments

Post by Lotus Blossom »

Strangely, I don't see your machiavelli tournament in the list of planned tournaments unless I specifically search for it by name.
Estemy

Post by Estemy »

Does anybody know why it doesn't show up?
sprockitz

Post by sprockitz »

search for "The Palaces of Carrara"
RicardoRix

Post by RicardoRix »

I agree in general with most things you are saying, the tournament descriptions could be better.

I don't have an answer, only a suggestion. Try small tournaments with 4 people, so that you give it the best chance to fill it up, and work up from there.

I tried a few times to gather a Dragon Line tournament, I invited most people on the leader board, plus anyone currently playing a turn-based game.

You may get lucky but unfortunately the unpopular games sometimes just don't get the love.
JCase16

Post by JCase16 »

I completely agree with you on almost all accounts. Some questions of my own:

- can tournaments be created with ELO turned off? I believe many higher ranking players refuse to play tournaments because they will inevitably lose lots of ELO doing so.
- Can we get descriptions of what settings the tournament has at the top of every tournament description and have better descriptions of what each type means. Sometimes I sign up not realizing I'm going to have 20 games start all at the same time

Last thing for the mods. I am not a current paying customer. If I could get tournaments to be built out with more than 2 players in a game, more love to the descriptions of the types, better searching options when looking for tournaments, etc then I would pay for that. I would sign up for a membership in a heartbeat or even be willing to fund a "kickstarter" of sorts to say if we raised this much money then you would throw your efforts behind it. I think a really well thought out tournament system would bring more paid memberships than just about anything else. You could build out what is there and put the suggestions you have seen in it. Then you could go further and allow for tournaments that actually have rewards that come from signup fees for tournaments and you could take a cut from it. It's a possible revenue stream for BGA if you have the right game(s) that would cause people to join and care that much. Just a thought. My personal opinion is that I like tournament win swag (like badges on my account) better than I do ELO. I would love to see top ELO for each game and top tournament players for each game too. Just total 1st, 2nd, 3rd badges or something...
dudi2

Post by dudi2 »

ELO off tournaments are possible. If you want some you can get premium and create some of them.
Aries54

Post by Aries54 »

In addition to the tournaments created by members, why doesn't the site create tournaments too? At least for the head-to-head games, this could be easily done by posting an open list of all the games, say once per month, and allowing anyone to join up until a cutoff date, or a predetermined maximum number of players is reached.
Smaller events (under ten players) could be set up as a round-robin, while larger ones could use swiss or elimination systems.
Unless one is an avid carcassonne player, the current tournament page is not very alluring.
turtler7

Post by turtler7 »

Aries54 wrote:In addition to the tournaments created by members, why doesn't the site create tournaments too? At least for the head-to-head games, this could be easily done by posting an open list of all the games, say once per month, and allowing anyone to join up until a cutoff date, or a predetermined maximum number of players is reached.
Smaller events (under ten players) could be set up as a round-robin, while larger ones could use swiss or elimination systems.
Unless one is an avid carcassonne player, the current tournament page is not very alluring.
Name what games you would join if they were available. I will make them. I make a lot of monthly tournaments for all the games that get a decent turnout (4+)

Return to “Tournaments / Les tournois”