How to calculate the tie-breaker in BGA Swiss system

Tournaments organization / Organisation des tournois
hma_19

How to calculate the tie-breaker in BGA Swiss system

Post by hma_19 »

I was in RFTG tourament last month. It was in a 7 games swiss tournament. I had 6 wins 1 loss and we have 2 more players had the same win-loss ratio. I saw the tie breaker calls "opponent's points". How to calculate this opponent's points?

I wonder because I have won 6 games in a streak until the 7th game which I lost. While the other 2 players had 1 loss earlier on. It turns out I was in the 3rd place of the tournament because I was 5 and 3 opponent's points behind the other 2 players. I am not complaining but just want to figure out the tie breaker rule here in BGA.
turtler7

Re: How to calculate the tie-breaker in BGA Swiss system

Post by turtler7 »

Each player you played against gives you 1 point in the "opponents points" for each win they had in the final standings.
If you played against 3 players who ended with 2, 4, and 5 wins you would get a total of 11 from those players.
Another player who managed to face people who had 4 4 and 4 for their final records could edge you out for 12 points. Some of the people you beat (likely mostly ones in the early rounds) probably ended up with poor records in the final stats dropping you down.
hma_19

Re: How to calculate the tie-breaker in BGA Swiss system

Post by hma_19 »

Thanks for explaining. It makes sense now. My first thought was the win rate of the opponent at the time each game played.

Return to “Tournaments / Les tournois”