Is it just me or is this tournament system (really) bad?

Tournaments organization / Organisation des tournois
nmego

Is it just me or is this tournament system (really) bad?

Post by nmego »

Most tournaments run with a time limit of 2 days for each player.

Considering that the number of moves in any game is at least 20 moves.

Versus a BGA addict, I find myself running out of time very easily. And this issue happens really often when our timezones are conflicted. (I live in a really weird timezone)

I'm not sure but I spend a lot of hours on BGA everyday. But despite that, I find myself running out of time in tournament games really easily. I was playing a really interesting RollFTG tournament game lately and my opponent just kicked me out since I passed the 2 days limit, even though I was really active (This month I've played 1000+ BGA games, Go figure)

I didn't even notice I was running out of time, I had plenty left. I think the only possible explanation was that my opponent played as soon as I turned off my PC to go sleep and then when I woke up I found myself out.

I'm planning to decrease the number of times I spend on BGA, to be more productive in real life. However this tournament system stands in the way.

Most of the time, it is hard to find a time where both me and my opponent are active, if we assume that our game runs for about 3-4 days before I get disconnected. And a game takes at least 20 moves.then I have to log in about 5! times a day to play my moves. and most games have way more than 20 moves.

And if you get to the point where only 1 hour is left, you oughta stay logging on the whole day until your opponent plays.

I do confess that the tournament system is fun (really fun actually). But this time issue is really bad. I'm considering not participating in any tournaments again (Except some private ones, maaaybe) because it really harms my real life. Considering that each tournament can run for as long as a whole month (even more).
veme

Re: Is it just me or is this tournament system (really) bad?

Post by veme »

Nothing about the system enforces a 2 day time limit. If you are bothered by losing games on time, only join tournaments with time limits long enough to ensure that that doesn't happen. I don't join anything under 7 days each, except Tash-Kalar which I'll go as low as 3 per player because of the small number of turns. Playing a 2 day turn-based of anything is probably a bad idea, IMO, if you care about the possibility of being gamed by an opportunistic player with more time on their hands than you.

But players should be able to kick you if you go over time, even by a second. Why do you get one second longer than them to think - that is breaking the agreed upon rules, a.k.a. cheating. I don't kick opponents for it (unless maybe if I'm holding up a tourney for a long time and it is clear my opponent will not be playing), but I respect the logic of people who do. This is assuming, of course, that they are not purposely trying to game your timer, which is not good sportsmanship (sportspersonship? can't think of a gender neutral with equivalent meaning here...) - but the solution to the problem already exists, and it is a longer timer.
nmego

Re: Is it just me or is this tournament system (really) bad?

Post by nmego »

You make up some good points.

1. Yeah, I didn't think about joining tournaments with more playing time. good idea. should've thought about it.

2. I understand "why you get one more second to think". though this argument doesn't really apply fully to turn-based since, that player isn't likely to think for all the duration of the 2 days. you can treat it as "why you get one more potential second for you to think" and everything makes sense.

Return to “Tournaments / Les tournois”