prestige boosting

Tournaments organization / Organisation des tournois
-Nintendo-

prestige boosting

Post by -Nintendo- »

how it can be tournament of keyflower on 2 players and 4500 of prestige, where one of the players has elo 2, it is just boosting of prestige points i think, watch on this https://en.boardgamearena.com/#!tournament?id=26912
so why it is possible at all starting tournaments with 2 people. They can just play a game out of tournament. This is ridiculous. I saw it's not first tournament like this, with same 2 players: Hakan and berat :| :| :roll:
RicardoRix

Re: prestige boosting

Post by RicardoRix »

busted!
Grey Lord

Post by Grey Lord »

Is there a formula available how many prestige points will be awarded per tournament?
I find it very broken. For example, now I saw one tournament with two players for 6050 points, while the same type of tournament in another game with 4 players (including 3 of the top 20) for 217 points.
Is there any limit what you can get from the same game tournaments?
sprockitz

Post by sprockitz »

there are significant issues with prestige from tournaments and it's been around for years and unfortunately doesn't seem to be a priority :-( (I hope they fix it retroactively when they finally get around to it).
Grey Lord wrote: 19 August 2019, 07:23 Is there a formula available how many prestige points will be awarded per tournament?
I find it very broken. For example, now I saw one tournament with two players for 6050 points, while the same type of tournament in another game with 4 players (including 3 of the top 20) for 217 points.
Is there any limit what you can get from the same game tournaments?
No formula has been published but I've managed to figure a bit out:

Each game has a base value which is based on how long a game takes (longer games are worth more prestige, difficulty could also be a factor here, not exactly sure).

Each player contributes a certain amount to a tournament based on the player's Elo range (average/good/strong/expert/master) and the prestige roughly quadruples for each rank they advance. So a 701 rated player provides four times the prestige of a 699 rated player.

The prestige is multiplied by number of rounds scheduled for the tournaments...so a Swiss scheduled for 20 rounds would be double the prestige of a 10 round Swiss or 4 times the prestige of a 32 player single elimination (5 rounds). This is whether or not the tournament actually takes that many rounds...thus a 2 player Swiss tournament will only take 1 round but provides 20x the prestige because it was scheduled for 20 rounds.
sprockitz

Post by sprockitz »

I'm really disappointed this hasn't been addressed yet or even acknowledged...maybe the site leaders don't notice it...but given the fact they seem so concerned about top prestige players that they are doing away with the whole Elo determined ranking, it seems odd that they haven't said anything about the much more broken tournament prestige system.

A bunch of tournaments with 2-4 players in it that are worth more than 5000 prestige! And this doesn't even have any of the almost daily Dungeon Twister tournaments Mendacium has used to push himself to 3rd place in prestige.

Several players have reached top 10 prestige just by playing the same tournaments over and over again with only a couple people. Even worse the Keyflower and Dungeon Twister abusers put really short clocks on them so most games don't even finish. Oh and make it worse, let's get my 'buddy' to signup so we can play a 2 person tournament for a bunch of free prestige (as indicated in the original post).

I recently hit master in Terra Mystica and noticed that my contribution alone for a 15 person round robin (even if less than 15 signup) jumped from 990 for an expert to 4950 for a master...a factor of 5 for a couple rating points difference...this too is broken and needs fixed. Make it a Swiss with 20 rounds (even though it'll be much less unless 20 people actually signup) and it jumps to ~6600 (the main source of the prestige shown in the 2 Swiss Terra Mystica tournaments above...another 1300 was added by an expert level player who joined)

PLEASE LET ME KNOW THERE ARE PLANS TO FIX THIS! Being good at 1 game and being able to create 2-3 player tournaments SHOULD NOT MAKE YOU ONE OF THE MOST PRESTIGIOUS PLAYERS. PLEASE FIX TOURNAMENT PRESTIGE!!!
ollyfish2002

Post by ollyfish2002 »

Have you submit a bug report ?
Give the number and all the players that find this unfair can give a thumb up to increase priority.
RicardoRix

Post by RicardoRix »

after that gets fixed, can you also look at the big discrepancy between
1st - 50k
2nd - 25k
3rd - 12.5k

Is it really worth 4x better at being 1st rather than 3rd?
sprockitz

Post by sprockitz »

RicardoRix wrote: 07 November 2019, 14:49 after that gets fixed, can you also look at the big discrepancy between
1st - 50k
2nd - 25k
3rd - 12.5k

Is it really worth 4x better at being 1st rather than 3rd?
Yeah I’ve thought something like 70% per step would be fairer than 50%
sprockitz

Post by sprockitz »

ollyfish2002 wrote: 07 November 2019, 09:18 Have you submit a bug report ?
Give the number and all the players that find this unfair can give a thumb up to increase priority.
I can create one tonight when I’m not on my phone, but not overly optimistic...last big site bug i reported was completely ignored...it seems more likely people see it here...but creating and linking here is worth a shot.
sprockitz

Post by sprockitz »

Please vote for the developers to look at the tournament prestige issue! And add your own comments if you so desire.

https://boardgamearena.com/bug?id=13853

Return to “Tournaments / Les tournois”